Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dockstar Overheating

Posted by okigan 
Dockstar Overheating
March 19, 2013 12:35AM
Dockstar overheats when performing long running operations (ex. rsync of large folders).

Is there a way to make it idle/throttle activity?

Thanks,
Igor
Re: Dockstar Overheating
April 07, 2013 06:22AM
Hello Igor,

I encountered a similar problem and solved it with a heatsink.
Changing the cpu clock is only possible by changing the clock multipliers hard wired on the board.
Some time ago I found instructions how to overclock the dockstar, so I think underclocking should be possible too.

Johanes
April 07, 2013 11:18PM
I've seen blog posts about heat sink install, but level of detail is rather poor.

Could you add some more details on heat sink install (where to get it, what size, does the box close properly still?)

OpenWRT site talks about changing the multiplier but also talks about worse stability (not clear if it is only for increased frequency).

-Igor
April 08, 2013 02:34AM
I've found if you add silicon feets to the Dockstar's bottom, it will not get too hot. Or you could mount it sideway.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.