Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogo Plug V4 - logs spammed with eth0: failed to linearize skb with tiny unaligned fragment

Posted by schnee 
Hi,

i noticed that the logs on one of my Pogo Plug V4 are spammed with

mv643xx_eth_port mv643xx_eth_port.0 eth0: failed to linearize skb with tiny unaligned fragment

There are several hundreds of these lines per second. After reboot everything works fine for a few hours, but after that this happens and only reboot fixes. I searched the net, but found nothing conclusive. I don't see any package drops etc yet, but it seems to affect the performance of the box.

kernel 6.6.3-kirkwood-tld-1 - but it happened with earlier kernel too
debian version 12.4

Did anybody else see this issue before?

Thanks

Schnee
Re: Pogo Plug V4 - logs spammed with eth0: failed to linearize skb with tiny unaligned fragment
February 01, 2024 11:03PM
Schnee,

I did not have this issue personally, but others did. It looks like an old bug that has not gone completely. Long ago, I used to include a patch for this mv643xx_eth driver in the kernel to turn off TCP segmementation offload, but I removed it because it was fixed in mainline.

At command line, use ethtool to turn of TCP segmentation offload. Run it that way to see if the behavior is better. This is only a work around, though. The network performance is not optimal if we don't use TCP segmentation offload.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Thanks Bodhi!
I issued
ethtool -K eth0 tso off
after boot and I will see if it helps.

Schnee
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.