Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which Email-system would you recommend?

Posted by gurkendoktor 
Which Email-system would you recommend?
September 30, 2010 12:01PM
I have an old 900GHz computer running as my mailserver at the moment and I like to replace the system with my dockstar. At the moment, I am using a combination of:
- fetchmail
- exim
- spamd
- imapd (ancient version)

I would like to replace the imapd with dovecot, but I am not sure if I should replace exim and which alternatives are possible.
Re: Which Email-system would you recommend?
October 02, 2010 08:12PM
If you like exim, there's probably no reason to switch. I can't imagine it'd use that much more memory than some of the alternatives. Personally, I prefer postfix only for its configuration; I never noticed its memory usage, but with a swap file I don't worry about it that much as I don't get a lot of mail sent to my Dockstar (and it's all spam that I simply forward to another system, anyway).

If you want to use your Dockstar only as a mail server, you should have plenty of power for it. My Dockstar is running mail, web, ssh, and several other services, and after being booted up for a week it's only utilizing 91MB of my swap file. :-) Just make sure to set up a swap file or partition when you configure your system.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.