Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GCC 4.8?

Posted by optim 
GCC 4.8?
August 12, 2014 06:05PM
I am looking for a copy of gcc 4.8 for arm. A project I want to play with says it requires gcc 4.8 and apt search only shows up to 4.7.

I have Bodhi's 3.10.4 installed on the GoFlex that I want to play with. Is there a way to get/compile/ have added to repositories GCC version 4.8?
Re: GCC 4.8?
August 13, 2014 07:03PM
optim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking for a copy of gcc 4.8 for arm. A
> project I want to play with says it requires gcc
> 4.8 and apt search only shows up to 4.7.
>
> I have Bodhi's 3.10.4 installed on the GoFlex that
> I want to play with. Is there a way to
> get/compile/ have added to repositories GCC
> version 4.8?

Searchs on Debian packages showed gcc 4.8 is available in Jessie. So I guess you could add jessie to your apt sources (pinning). I've never done it for real (it is just too cumbersome to me, I'd rather use jessie rootfs fully). But I do recall someone in the forum had experience with this.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 07:04PM by bodhi.
August 13, 2014 07:08PM
I'm afraid you passed my level of knowledge there. What is Jessie? A newer version of Debian? (ie lenny, wheezy, Jessie?)

Would I add Jessie where I now have wheezy?
August 13, 2014 08:00PM
Yes. That jessie:
https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&keywords=gcc-4.8

So if you have wheezy in your /etc/apt/sources.list then you are running wheezy rootfs. And to see gcc-4.8, your apt sources must be changed to point to jessie, therefore you will be using Debian testing distribution, not stable distribution (wheezy).

The pinning I've mentioned above allows you to bring in just the package gcc-4.8, but it is a manual thing, you will have to figure out and make sure all dependent packages are also brought in (perhaps some trials and errors while you get your rootfs updated cleanly)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 13, 2014 09:04PM
ack. I need to update my rootfs?

I take it that means change the wheezy to testing (or jessie?) and do a dist-upgrade?
August 14, 2014 12:06AM
Yes! but back up your rootfs first. It will be a massive change.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.