Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seagate Momentus 7200.1 100GB not starting

Posted by Organized 
Seagate Momentus 7200.1 100GB not starting
November 10, 2013 08:30AM
Hi there,

I have won a Seagate GoFlex Net and two Seagate Momentus 7200.1 100GB HDDs. Of course I put Debian on my GoFlex because Pogoplug is pretty crappy. I am following this tutorial: http://doncharisma.com/2013/09/22/build-your-own-pro-nas-seagate-goflex-net-with-debian-linux-raid1-and-openmediavault/

OMV is running, now I want to plug in my HDDs to put my Debian on them. But the HDDs are not running, but ONLY in the GoFlex Net! When I put them in my Computer they run very well. Does the GoFlex Net does not have enough power to start them? They are doing nothing, not even trying to start.

Other HDDs work in the GoFlex Net, but I dont want to use them.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on here?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

EDIT: I have tried some other HDDs, some of them are not working, too.

Seagate Momentus 7200.1: not working
Toshiba MK3276GSX: working
WD 3200 BVVT: not working
WD 3200 BEVT: working
Fujitsu MHY2080BH: working

All devices work well in my computer!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2013 08:38AM by Organized.
Re: Seagate Momentus 7200.1 100GB not starting
November 10, 2013 08:47AM
Probably simply a power limitation. Those 7200rpm drives tend to have pretty high startup currents. Especially the older models. And the Goflex + its external power supply can only deliever as much.
You can maybe get around this by using a higher rated 12V power supply, plus soldering some thicker cables from the 12V plug to the SATA ports power pins. I think I saw something to that extent in the openWRT wiki, where it is described in detail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2013 08:47AM by ingmar_k.
November 10, 2013 03:58PM
> Probably simply a power limitation.

I think ingmar_k is right :)

The simplest approach is to use the GoFlex Home power brick, which provides a lot more juice (it is designed to drives 3.5" HDD). You can buy it from eBay.

@Organized: have you tried plugging the HDD after the system is running? it is perfectly OK to do that on GoFlex Net.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 11, 2013 10:34AM
Hi,

thank you for your answers. I tried plugging it in while the GoFlex Net is running, but it is still not working.

How fast does the GoFlex Net with Debian + OMV write/read the data? I can only use it, if it's fast (40 MB/s would be perfectly ok). Before I buy another power supply, this would be nice to know.

Thanks,
Andy
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.