Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug V4/Mobile and Arduino

Posted by monkmandolins 
Pogoplug V4/Mobile and Arduino
January 27, 2015 02:07PM
Hi everyone-
I have gotten Arduino working on the Pogoplug V4 and Mobile with the newest kernel from Bodhi and the newest Uboot. There is a command line method for uploading a sketch to the Arduino board, and there is also the ability to use the Arduino IDE in a VNC GUI on the Pogoplug which, believe it or not, is not that slow ( on par with a raspberry pi).

If anyone has any interest in how I did this, or needs pointers regarding wifi, LXDE, etc on the Pogoplug, please let me know.
Re: Pogoplug V4/Mobile and Arduino
January 27, 2015 04:41PM
Post a Youtube video and then give us a link. That will generate some interest.
January 29, 2015 12:18PM
ME Me meeeeee

"particularly LXDE, etc"
January 29, 2015 01:56PM
To install a GUI- First, follow the instructions for the updated U-Boot and Bodhi's most recent Debian Kernel. Then:

apt-get install xorg lxde-core tightvncserver

VNC SETUP

tightvncserver :1

Follow the instructions to make a password, but say no to the "read only" question.

tightvncserver -kill :1

Edit config file to start session with LXDE:

nano ~/.vnc/xstartup

Add this at the bottom of the file:

lxterminal &
/usr/bin/lxsession -s LXDE &

Restart VNC

tightvncserver :1

Now, that is a bare minimum LXDE setup but it does work. The Arduino IDE installs with:

apt-get install arduino arduino-core

and it will show up automatically under the programming header of the main menu in LXDE.

You may notice some of the visual settings are ugly, and some icons are missing.

To fix the appearance:

apt-get install lxappearance lxde-icon-theme oxygen-icon-theme lxterminal obconf

But do it at your own risk, as I was able to freeze the system by doing too much tweaking (wallpaper is probably a bad idea).

I also have a way to automatically load the tightvncserver on boot if you want it, but by the above method you have to call an Xwindow server when you want it and quit it when you want it, which has benefits in terms of processing power available.

I hope this helps
January 29, 2015 01:56PM
monkmandolins,

Thanks, good to see LXDE. I'm using xfce, which is pretty lightweight, but it is not performing well running a web browser.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 01:57PM by bodhi.
January 29, 2015 02:01PM
I didn't put a browser on because my purposes were strictly Arduino-related. I love that this works at all, though, and it's pretty snappy.
Also, if you look at the resource monitor in the LXDE window at idle, it is doing next to nothing.

As I said, the Arduino IDE (is it Java heavy, I think?) pushed this setup to the limit.
Putty completely crashed it.

I also found that on 4 different installs of the Bodhi rootfs, I got 4 different response speeds.
For posterity, here is my "install script" that I use after putting the rootfs on an SD card and firing up the Pogoplug.

echo "deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free">>/etc/apt/sources.list && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get install -y usbutils git build-essential firmware-ralink firmware-realtek firmware-atheros wireless-tools wpasupplicant arduino arduino-core xorg lxde-core tightvncserver -y

This gives me everything I need to get going.

:)
January 29, 2015 03:50PM
@Monk - Thankyou!!!!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.