Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do you have search engine for Debian compare to Everything?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Do you have search engine for Debian compare to Everything?
April 22, 2015 12:08AM
I too am not the world's biggest NTFS fan. But on the windows side, if you turn off Indexing and time stamping, you could be okay with it, large file support. But what totally rocks is the freeware search engine for your files called Everything. It uses the file journal to search files and get results starting with one character.

Now in Rome do as the Romans do, and roughly tomorrow I'll clean a SATA drive to hook up to one of the Pogoplugs. Format Linux. Ultimately it's a practice run at a Samba-centric NAS. Samba is important to me for the thumbnails alone -I can see picture thumbnails and edit or whatever. But I may lack the ability to use Everything search engine since the files aren't controlled by windows anymore. There's possible ways IF I format a partition to NTFS but I can hear the hissing in advance. For all I know that may work under WINE, but again I don't know.

It's hard to overstate how useful Everything is - and off the top of my head I'd imagine Ext 3 or 4 should have the journaling to make that kind of search engine possible. My E02 with Arch is expected to have two folders so that shouldn't matter, but the Pro with dualcore ought to be perfect for that kind of search. Thanks if you know of something or whatever.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Do you have search engine for Debian compare to Everything?
April 22, 2015 06:56PM
Not a lot of options out there but I use http://www.indexyourfiles.com/
April 23, 2015 10:26AM
in linux I use find

guide here for you to look at

http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-find-files-on-your-computer-with-find/
April 26, 2015 01:03AM
Between the two of you those solutions ought to cover a lot of contingencies (you know, Murphy's Law). I just wish Find had a predetermined set of paths so for example you'd enter "trees .jpg" and it would result any jpeg that had trees in the label. Or "crowes .flac" might return Black Crowes in flac format. And then over LAN.
I'm not much of a movie nut but am nearing a conclusion that large collections of pictures, ebooks and music might be better suited to NTFS drives for pinpoint results in searching, and have the larger and fewer MP4 videos on the seemingly more efficient Ext 2, 3 or 4.

Thank you very much.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 02:21PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.