Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New install on old Dockstar

Posted by Phreon 
New install on old Dockstar
September 12, 2015 10:09AM
My 2 Dockstars that I have had running with "Linux debian-2 2.6.32-5-kirkwood " since March of 2011 need to be updated to the newer kernel. I want to use a wireless dongle and my old system does not appear to support it.
I have tried to search the posts to find a tutorial like Jeff's original one to upgrade my Dock's but the searching I have done leads me to posts that are too deep for my humble skills. I also understand that Jeff's tutorial is out of date now. Is there a tutorial in the posts I have missed to upgrade my Dock's.
Thanks in advance.

BTW I tried reading the tutorials from Bohdi http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,23630 but I could not be sure I could translate that to my Dock's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2015 11:45AM by Phreon.
Re: New install on old Dockstar
September 12, 2015 03:13PM
Phreon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 2 Dockstars that I have had running with "Linux
> debian-2 2.6.32-5-kirkwood " since March of 2011
> need to be updated to the newer kernel. I want to
> use a wireless dongle and my old system does not
> appear to support it.
> I have tried to search the posts to find a
> tutorial like Jeff's original one to upgrade my
> Dock's but the searching I have done leads me to
> posts that are too deep for my humble skills. I
> also understand that Jeff's tutorial is out of
> date now. Is there a tutorial in the posts I have
> missed to upgrade my Dock's.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> BTW I tried reading the tutorials from Bohdi
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,23630 but I
> could not be sure I could translate that to my
> Dock's.

It is simple. The upgrade will be a massive change, so back up you USB rootfs first (clone it to another stick). Then go to this thread to download the kernel 3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2.

Updated 02 Sept 2014 (kernel):

Kernel 3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2 package was uploaded. The following updates were implemented:

Follow the instruction and install this kernel. After that, upgrade to the latest FDT kernel version (4.2) when you have more time. You could also go straight to 4.2, but it is a little bit more involved (need to set up u-boot envs).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: New install on old Dockstar
September 12, 2015 03:40PM
Thanks for the fast reply Bodhi. I will try this.
I will test this on a new usb drive using Jeff's old tutorial to load the old system and then use the one you suggested to test the upgrade process.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.