Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Various GoFlex Net devices with unknown state

Posted by Valentin 
Valentin
Various GoFlex Net devices with unknown state
March 24, 2016 02:58AM
Hi,

I got 3 devices (GoFlex Net) and tried to boot Debian Wheezy and Jessie on them - without success.
No device receives an IP adress when booting without a stick, but according to the owner of the devices an old version of uBoot was used to open the devices for the use with Debian or ArchLinux (ALARM).

Is it possible to boot a rescue system or similar from stick, install a current uBoot and flash it to NAND ?
How can I do this - does an rescue-image exist that I can copy to an USB stick and boot from that ?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards
Valentin
Re: Various GoFlex Net devices with unknown state
March 24, 2016 04:35AM
Valentin,

> without a stick, but according to the owner of the
> devices an old version of uBoot was used to open
> the devices for the use with Debian or ArchLinux
> (ALARM).

> How can I do this - does an rescue-image exist
> that I can copy to an USB stick and boot from that
> ?

Base on your 2 facts above, the best you can try is to use a USB rootfs that has the 3.16 kernel in this thread:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

Scroll down to the section:

Updated 02 Sept 2014 (rootfs):

Rootfs Debian-3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2 was uploaded. This rootfs is to keep in sync with kernel Linux-3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2 (and its new features).

Follow the instruction very closely (the most important instruction is being a root user, not using sudo), and create the Debian-3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2 rootfs. Try booting with it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Valentin
March 25, 2016 06:43AM
Hi Bodhi,

thank you so far.
One device was booting the Debian rootfs 3.16 you linked in your answer - thank you ("flexy1").

I then took the USB stick and plugged it into the other device - there the orange LED turned on and I got an IP from my router.
After trying to ssh into the device (with root/root) I receive the following prompt:
rescue:~#

Does this mean that some rescue system was installed directly to the device (USB stick is the same as for flexy1) ?

Can you post me a link or similar how to proceed, please ?
e.g. install newest u-boot to be able to boot from another USB stick your newest kernel (Jessie)

Thank you

Kind regards,
Valentin
March 25, 2016 12:17PM
(completely unwarranted personal opinion incoming)

I'd have opened them and connected a TTL-USB (serial) dongle on their serial connection, then you can see what the heck the bootloader is doing, and reconfigure it easily over terminal from your PC. That's the closest thing to a screen you can get for these devices. Also useful if you soft-brick one while updating.

connection pins are in this image (the ones covered by the arrows) https://wiki.openwrt.org/_detail/media/seagate/goflex_net_1.jpg?id=toh%3Aseagate%3Agoflexnet
March 25, 2016 03:35PM
Valentin,

> I then took the USB stick and plugged it into the
> other device - there the orange LED turned on and
> I got an IP from my router.
> After trying to ssh into the device (with
> root/root) I receive the following prompt:
> rescue:~#
>
> Does this mean that some rescue system was
> installed directly to the device (USB stick is the
> same as for flexy1) ?

Yes. It means Jeff's or davygravy's rescue system has been installed in NAND. From here with GFnet2 you can set up the envs to boot the same Debian stick. At the rescue prompt, get the output of the following and post here.
uname -a 
fw_printenv

After you got all 3 running Debian, install the latest u-boot from here:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.