Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jeff installation script - Goflex Home

Posted by Sil20 
Jeff installation script - Goflex Home
February 17, 2018 06:44AM
Hello,

I used Jeff installation script on my GoFlex Home.

The first part of the script went well with the flash
The debian installation did not complete due to an error. I restarted the script without success twice.

Now I can not connect to my goflex home anymore. no ip address goes back.

I tried to unsuccessfully create an usb key with this tutorial : https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

I try the seagate procedure without result. : http://support.goflexhome.hipserv.com/en/reflash/index.html

The led are green for a few seconds and then flash orange later cyclically. My router is showing an RJ45 connection that disappears at times.

Thank you for your help.

I would like to take control of this goflex to install a debian or return to an original firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 06:47AM by Sil20.
Re: Jeff installation script - Goflex Home
February 17, 2018 04:06PM
Sil20,

> I used Jeff installation script on my GoFlex
> Home.

It is an old installation procedure. u-boot is old but it is OK. But the Debian part has problem because of old repository.

> The first part of the script went well with the
> flash
> The debian installation did not complete due to an
> error. I restarted the script without success
> twice.

At this point, your u-boot was installed and it will boot a non-FDT kernel. So you can boot the rootfs Debian-4.12.1-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 from the release thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

However, since u-boot is old and it does not support FDT kernel. You must follow step 4b.

4. Create uImage and uInitrd and setup for booting.

I'm using the GoFlex Net booting with USB drive as an example here. Please replace its name (kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb) with the box you are installing on (for example, kirkwood-pogo_e02.dtb). Please look inside /boot/dts/ for the correct DTB file name for your box.

Below are the 2 different alternatives in booting (method 4b is required for booting with older U-Boot that does not support FDT).

- Choose option 4a if you are going to use the current rootfs for many different Kirkwood boxes, as is. It should boot most of the Kirkwood boxes. And with the latest U-Boot for Kirkwood that suports FDT. This is the preferred method.

- Choose option 4b if you only use the current rootfs for the box you're installing on, and don't want to modify u-boot envs. This method is required for booting with older U-Boot that does not support FDT. Note that if you are installing from stock OS, u-boot envs must be modified to boot with USB or HDD (please post questions, since each box has a different flavor in setting up the envs).

4a. Boot with DTB file (standard way to boot FDT kernel). Recommended.

- Generate the uImage and uInitrd.
cd /boot
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-4.15.2-kirkwood-tld-1 -d vmlinuz-4.15.2-kirkwood-tld-1 uImage
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs-4.15.2-kirkwood-tld-1 -d initrd.img-4.15.2-kirkwood-tld-1 uInitrd

- Set U-Boot envs for booting. The u-boot envs below are for 1st time upgrading, you don't need to do this step if you've installed the latest U-Boot for Kirkwood. Or you are upgrading from my previous released kernel. Just make sure the DTB file is the correct one for your box, replace kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb below with the correct DTB name for your box.

fw_setenv load_dtb 'ext2load usb 0:1 0x1c00000 /boot/dts/kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb'
fw_setenv load_initrd 'ext2load usb 0:1 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd'
fw_setenv load_uimage 'ext2load usb 0:1 0x800000 /boot/uImage'
fw_setenv usb_boot 'run load_dtb; run load_uimage; if run load_initrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000 0x1c00000; else bootm 0x800000 - 0x1c00000; fi'

4b. Boot with DTB file embedded in the kernel image (no U-Boot envs changes are needed if your system already booting on USB or HDD)

Again, please replace kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb below with the correct DTB name for your box.

Generate the uImage and uInitrd:
cd /boot
mv uImage uImage.orig
cp -a zImage-4.15.2-kirkwood-tld-1 zImage.fdt
cat dts/kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb >> zImage.fdt
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-4.15.2-kirkwood-tld-1 -d zImage.fdt uImage
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs-4.15.2-kirkwood-tld-1 -d initrd.img-4.15.2-kirkwood-tld-1 uInitrd

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Jeff installation script - Goflex Home
February 21, 2018 05:00AM
Thank you for your reply.

I suggest not to put this tutorial forward if it is no longer relevant.

I will test your advice soon.

Have a good day
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.