Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug V4 lost power, boots but will not get IP address for SSH

Posted by spexandwally 
I have a Pogoplug V4 I have been using as a NAS, and recently had a power surge. It is booting from an SD card, and displays a green light once the power cycles, but does not show up on the network, and will not accept SSH connections at the IP address I had for it. I created a new rootfs for it on a new SD card, but it will not boot that image, only the SD card I originally made when I installed Debian.

I'm tempted to trash it and move to a PI, but I like the V4's USB 3.0 ports. Any suggestions where I go from here?
Re: Pogoplug V4 lost power, boots but will not get IP address for SSH
September 01, 2019 04:16AM
spexandwally,

> I have a Pogoplug V4 I have been using as a NAS,
> and recently had a power surge. It is booting from
> an SD card, and displays a green light once the
> power cycles, but does not show up on the network,
> and will not accept SSH connections at the IP
> address I had for it. I created a new rootfs for
> it on a new SD card, but it will not boot that
> image, only the SD card I originally made when I
> installed Debian.
>
> I'm tempted to trash it and move to a PI, but I
> like the V4's USB 3.0 ports. Any suggestions where
> I go from here?

Power outage usually causes rootfs corruption, if the SD rootfs is not journal. But it is a recoverable error. Have you tried to take the SD card to another Linux box and run e2fsck to fix the rootfs corruption?

But first you need to tell us what you have installed in this Pogo V4. Does it have a new u-boot? you were booting with SD card, then what's on it, Debian, Arch,....? how was it formatted, Ext3, Ext4...?

The above information is the minimum you need to provide before I can suggest what is the next step to fix it. If you have a boot log before it was broken then post here, too.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Pogoplug V4 lost power, boots but will not get IP address for SSH
September 03, 2019 07:59PM
This may be a bit off topic.

I have some Android TV Boxes running on CoreELEC OS. If I pull/plug back the power cord, it won't boot any longer (similar to what you explained above). As it turns out, the partition tables (MSDOS and EXT4) got corrupted. Yes, the uboot on an Android TV Box expects an MSDOS partition to contain the SYSTEM image to boot (if I understand correctly). So, I just take the USB memory stick that contains the CoreELEC OS to a Linux desktop computer to clean/remove the dirty bits/inodes. I use the following to clean the dirty bits on the MSDOS partition
/sbin/dosfsck -aw <MSDOS partition>
and
/sbin/fsck.ext4 -fy <EXT4 partition>
to clean the EXT4 partition. When problem like this happens so often, due to power outages, etc., it will become cumbersome. So, I wrote a simple checkdisk shell scripts utility (attached below) to detect the partition type, i.e. ext, ext2, ext3, ext4, and vfat, then use it to select which disk utility to clean the partition. By no means this shell script utility is complete and it does lack an intelligence to check if the partition is mounted or not. I hope such a simple shell script utility will benefit anyone.
Attachments:
open | download - checkdisk (592 bytes)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.