Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use USB on more than one box, i.e., rescue

Posted by mikeh49 
Use USB on more than one box, i.e., rescue
October 13, 2019 02:46PM
I'd like to use a single USB drive on more than one box, i.e., plug and play, so to speak. This would be, for example, several Kirkwood boxes with the same DTS file such as Pogo E02 or Dell Kace M300. I can move a USB to another box by deleting the appropriate udev rules files. In another thread, Bodhi mentioned a way to make this easier. So, I'm looking for some guidance or instructions. Thanks.
Re: Use USB on more than one box, i.e., rescue
October 13, 2019 05:08PM
mikeh49,

> I can move a USB to another box by deleting
> the appropriate udev rules files.

That's basically the only thing that prevents the USB to boot on a different Kirkwood box.

The rest are modification that make it unique:

- Regenerate SSH key
- Change any named services config file: NFS exports, netatalk (afpd), Samba...
- Change box-specific daemon config files such as esekeyd

> In another
> thread, Bodhi mentioned a way to make this easier.

Not sure what I meant, can you link that post here :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 13, 2019 08:46PM
When you use an existing rootfs to boot another identical box (or another Kirkwood box in this case), you will need to make sure the udev rules for persistent-net are removed or modified. This usually causes network problem because of conflicting MAC address. To make it really simple, remove these 2 files (or rename them to *.save so that they will be regenerated by udev using the new MAC address) before mounting to the other box: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules Note that the number 70 and 75 are varied on different systems, but they are not important in this respect. To reuse the rootfs for many boxes, it is best to modify them (instead of removing). If you want to do that, pls post back for instruction.

Thread here: https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,25683,30100#msg-30100
October 14, 2019 12:25AM
Hi Mike,

That was all I meant. Changing the 2 rule files. There is no easier way,

And then

The rest are modification that make it unique:

- Regenerate SSH key
- Change any named services config file: NFS exports, netatalk (afpd), Samba...
- Change box-specific daemon config files such as esekeyd

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 15, 2019 04:28PM
I got more curious about this and googled some and found that Stretch does not require the persistent-rules file (but will use it if present). The SUBSYSTEM line in Stretch on the Kace M300 is commented and there is no regenerator script in /lib/udev. It sounds like this may now be plug-and-play. I plan some more research and testing when I get the second M300 going. Short of time at the moment.

Here is some background on the new technique in Stretch and beyond:

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2019 05:07PM by mikeh49.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.