Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ignorance is never bliss :/

Posted by Gravelrash 
Ignorance is never bliss :/
March 05, 2020 07:24AM
and by the above title i mean MY OWN

Question
For devices that are currently - for want of a better word - stuck on a particular kernel release to allow functionality.
Would be it possible to utilise the existing download tar file e,g, Stretch and only change the repo pointers to Buster to allow for update to Buster packages whilst keeping the underlying kernel?

i am going to presume it is - but i would like clarification around the point and particularly any reasons why it isn't. plus mitigations if they are relevant

Peace & Respect

Gravelrash
Re: Ignorance is never bliss :/
March 05, 2020 07:39AM
Gravelrash,

Yes. We can run a specific kernel that is not too old. Say, a 4.4 kernel with Debian buster.

So if you are running an old kernel and want to stay there, just change distribution in /etc/apt/sources* (preferably to a newer one than what you have) and apt-get update/upgrade.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 06, 2020 09:31AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravelrash,
>
> Yes. We can run a specific kernel that is not too
> old. Say, a 4.4 kernel with Debian buster.
>

It works both ways, I have a box running Jessie on kernel 5.3.2. Jessie is at least 2 years younger than 5.3.2, maybe more.

Trying to move away from Jessie though, it's EOL in June of this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2020 09:33AM by LeggoMyEggo.
March 06, 2020 10:17AM
A follow-on question: If everything is working fine, both kernel and file system, how important is it to upgrade the distro for a use case that has limited or no access to the internet? For example, Logitech Music Server only accessed audio streams and maybe fanart, nothing interactive.
March 09, 2020 05:33AM
Not important at all - you only need to upgrade if you

1 - feel the need
2 - a patch you need to fix some or other functionality is only included in a later version

mikeh49 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A follow-on question: If everything is working
> fine, both kernel and file system, how important
> is it to upgrade the distro for a use case that
> has limited or no access to the internet? For
> example, Logitech Music Server only accessed audio
> streams and maybe fanart, nothing interactive.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.