Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HDD not detected

Posted by narddawg314 
HDD not detected
May 01, 2014 11:28AM
I have successfully booted and updated Debian on a USB 3.0 thumbdrive and wanted to mount a 500GB HDD for storage purposes. When I plug the HDD into the goflex, it spins up but I'm not able to find it with fdisk -l to mount the drive. Should I format it with ext2 or 3 prior to plugging it into the goflex? I believe it is currently formatted as FAT32
Re: HDD not detected
May 01, 2014 03:19PM
narddawg314,

Now that you can boot with the thumb drive, you should plug the HDD plug in before powering up. Although I've suggested to plug it in after, that was for troubleshooting purpose. The HDD should be in the SATA slot during booting. And watch your serial console or netconsole to capture the log if anything strange going on.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 01, 2014 04:09PM
You can also try:

echo "0 0 0" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan
May 01, 2014 09:04PM
echo "0 0 0" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan
returns nothing and I've rebooted with the drive attached but nothing either. Should I format as ext3?
May 01, 2014 10:46PM
narddawg314 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> echo "0 0 0" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan
>
> returns nothing and I've rebooted with the drive
> attached but nothing either. Should I format as
> ext3?

It's not relevant whether it's FAT/Ext2/Ex3/Ext4. In this situation, I'd look at dmesg output first to see if the HDD was detected. If not, then setup serial console or netconsole.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 02, 2014 10:49AM
Thank you sir! I'll take a look this weekend and figure it out.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.