Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't copy a 1 GB file to an USB HDD conneted at Segate Dockstar via Samba

Posted by StefanV3 
Can't copy a 1 GB file to an USB HDD conneted at Segate Dockstar via Samba
October 11, 2010 11:08AM
Hi,

i am new here. I got my Segate Dockstar and installed jeff's debian squeeze on it with Samba.
Connected is a 1 GB USB stick for Debian and a 1 TB usb hdd for shares.
But, i cannot copy a test file that has a size of 1 GB onto the usb hdd via Samba. Windows 7 x6 tells me that thee is a problem occured and i sould make sure that the dockstar is really connected.
With a file with 100 Mb size, all is fine...

The format of the USB HDD is FAT32 because i wnat to have the ability to use the drive on a local windows computer when it is needed.

Could anyone help???

Thanks

StefanV3
Does your Samba-connected machine show the drive as the proper size (~1TB) for the shared drive?

Is it possible you are trying to store the file on the flash stick somehow (Samba mis-configured)?

Obviously you are "really connected" if you can copy a 100MB file. This wouldn't be the first time Windows has given a misleading error message.

I just installed Sqeeze an hour ago, and tested a 1GB Samba transfer, it worked, but my HDD is ext2.

I prefer NFS to Samba, for several reasons, but I don't know if W7 supports it out of the box, may depend on the version.
Re: Can't copy a 1 GB file to an USB HDD conneted at Segate Dockstar via Samba
October 14, 2010 08:05AM
Hi,

i got it to work. The Problem was the parameter "Sync" in "MOUNTOPTIONS" at usbmount.conf. After removing "Sync" i was able to copy thefile.
Another tipp from debianforum.de says that i should configure samba to only use port 139. I'll giveit a try...

Thanks

StefanV3
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.