Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NSA310 separate rootfs and boot

Posted by randomDude 
NSA310 separate rootfs and boot
October 16, 2021 02:49PM
Hi bodhi,

after reading this informative wiki article on booting from HDD, I do not understand how the switch is done to HDD in detail (after step 10), specifically how uboot is configured to find the boot partition. Is that missing and the info has to be taken from other wiki articles?

Thanks,
rD
Re: NSA310 separate rootfs and boot
October 16, 2021 02:59PM
randomDude,

> I do not understand how the
> switch is done to HDD in detail (after step 10),
> specifically how uboot is configured to find the
> boot partition. Is that missing and the info has
> to be taken from other wiki articles?

That post is for after you have installed the new u-boot. In the new u-boot, I've scripted the envs to automatically scan the disks, and load the kernel from either USB or HDD, and for some boxes (e.g. Pogo V4) from the SD card.

It does not apply to stock u-boot. There are much more envs setup to do the same for stock u-boot.

If you want to see how the u-boot default envs were setup to do that, download the latest u-boot envs tarball:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

8. Flashing default u-boot envs image (if you are upgrading from 2016.05-tld-1 u-boot, you can skip this step 8).
a. Download the default u-boot envs at Dropbox:

uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.bodhi.tar
md5:
3823eef10011b864859d31a76470e0e3
sha256:
c8db95a4225e8d78bdaaaa372bd5a87e4b98f3448dd9c62fc96c72b2df1a997c

This tarball includes 3 files:

uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.img (the default envs image to be flashed)
uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment (the content of the default envs in text format)
uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.64K.img (small envs image to be flashed on HP T5325 only).

The uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment is the content of the default envs in text format).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 16, 2021 03:03PM
Hi bodhi,

thanks for the answer. Can I use the environment you linked with my stock uboot? I am still reluctant to update uboot doe to the bad blocks...

rD
October 16, 2021 03:14PM
randomDude,

> thanks for the answer. Can I use the environment
> you linked with my stock uboot?

No you cannot. There are some commands that are only available in new u-boot.

The general logic can be used, but the scripts need to be retrofitted back to older u-boot commands, or lack thereof.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.