Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogo plug v3 stalls at usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using oxnas-ehci

Posted by loafy28 
Pogo plug v3 stalls at usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using oxnas-ehci
January 31, 2021 01:38PM
hello all -

long time lurker here and have been able to resolve any issue prior to this one. I recently bought a Pogo-P21 via ebay and was looking to add it to a list of Debian based servers for small jobs around my house. I have 2 E02's (black) that run Debian Buster without any issue.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get this P21 to boot fully into Debian. I think I am close but the console hangs at the "usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using oxnas-ehci" line (see log). I've tried different usb drives and different ports but get the same issue all the time. I have a serial connection to the device and I can see it asks for and gets and IP address from my DHCP server but can't seem get past this point.

I've attached my console log and did some research on the "** File not found /boot/uEnv.txt *" error that I do see but thought it may not critical from the posting here at Apr 24, 2020 at 4:40 from Bodhi https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,100274 .

I've also included the output from printenv from the console when I interrupted the boot process for more detail.

I'm still looking around but thought I'd ask some experts - thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2021 03:34PM by loafy28.
Attachments:
open | download - oxnas debug.txt (12.9 KB)
open | download - oxnas printenv.txt (2.7 KB)
Re: Pogo plug v3 stalls at usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using oxnas-ehci
January 31, 2021 04:07PM
loafy28,

Everything looks quite good except one problem (the uEnv.txt was not an error. U-Boot just reported the fact that you don't have that file, which is optional).

The problem:

Your box is Pogolpug P21, meaning it is the Popgo V3 Classic (without Wifi).

So power up, interrupt serial console and

setenv dtb_file '/boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb'

and go ahead and boot
boot

====

I think my u-boot installation instruction needs some improvement :) I can see why you missed considering the part about which variant is your box.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
that was it!!!!

I'm going back to see where I missed that step and will correct. I also plan to set up netconsole when I feel things are correct and will put the p21 back together again.

So far it will boot on the USB using the ext3 file system. I was able to log into Debian 10 (Buster) with root/root

I very much appreciate the help Bodh - thank you!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2021 04:44PM by loafy28.
Re: Pogo plug v3 stalls at usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using oxnas-ehci
January 31, 2021 04:47PM
> I'm going back to see where I missed that step and
> will correct.

It's my bad. I mentioned this on the rootfs installation instruction but not on the u-boot installation. Usually the DTB should be changed at u-boot installation.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 31, 2021 05:03PM
I've editied the u-boot installation to make clear this step is necessary. Thanks loafy28 for reporting the problem!

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017,16017#msg-16017

15. Adjust the DTB name to boot with the other variant of Pogoplug V3 (after flashing the envs image in Step 10 above, the default is set to the Pogoplug V3 Pro).

If you have the Pogplug V3 classic (without Wifi) then
fw_setenv dtb_file '/boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb'
For other OXNAS boxes that migh work with this u-boot see the rootfs installation Step 4, or kernel upgrade Step 6.

16. Reboot. Upon reboot, in either serial console or netconsole, uBoot banner should show the SPL and U-Boot versions as:
U-Boot SPL 2013.10-tld-4 (Sep 07 2014 - 14:10:12)

U-Boot 2015.10-tld-2 (Oct 21 2017 - 22:00:02 -0700)
OXNAS OX820

DONE Installation.

====
edit: typo

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2021 04:28AM by bodhi.
bodhi,

thanks again for all the help and updating the documentation. I went back and update the uEnv.txt file correctly and though that would fix the issue but the only way to get the box to boot is by interrupting the boot process and pasting the command above. I checked what's in the nand and saw it still showed the "pro" reference instead of the "classic" I have in boot/uEnv.txt file so I thought I would just do a fw_setenv command on that option but find this:

root@debian:~#
root@debian:~# fw_setenv dtb_file /boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb
Can't open /dev/mtd0: Permission denied
Error: can't write fw_env to flash
root@debian:~#

even trying the early steps in u-boot process I still get permission denied:

root@debian:~# /usr/sbin/flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0x0 6
flash_erase: error!: /dev/mtd0
error 13 (Permission denied)

thought I should be able write to /dev/mtd0 ?

I suppose I'm missing something obvious....

thanks much!
January 31, 2021 10:57PM
loafy28,

As of kernel 4.14.180-oxnas-tld-1 (which is what on the basic rootfs) the u-boot area in NAND is not writeable from inside Debian, if you have the Pogoplug V3 Classic. It is possibe to update it in u-boot serial console, though.

I've corrected that in later kernel versions.

You should upgrade your system to kernel linux-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1 (the latest in the release thread). And then you will be able to do fw_setenv.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
many thanks bodhi !!

updated to the last kernel as per the guide and things look rock solid now. Thanks for all the help and great work here!!
February 03, 2021 10:24PM
Awesome!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Hello,

I have a Pogoplug V3 Classic and run on kernel linux-5.4.101-oxnas-tld-1.
setenv from u-boot console works, but fw_setenv from linux commandline is not.

Is it possible, the fix got lost from 4.14.180 to 5.4.101 ?

Cheers,
Torsten

bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> loafy28,
>
> As of kernel 4.14.180-oxnas-tld-1 (which is what
> on the basic rootfs) the u-boot area in NAND is
> not writeable from inside Debian, if you have the
> Pogoplug V3 Classic. It is possibe to update it in
> u-boot serial console, though.
>
> I've corrected that in later kernel versions.
>
> You should upgrade your system to kernel
> linux-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1 (the latest in the
> release thread). And then you will be able to do
> fw_setenv.
December 12, 2021 03:19PM
Torsten Schumacher,

fw_setenv from linux commandline is not

Did you have any error message? or is fw_setenv command not available?

If you have upgraded Debian to bullseye (11.x) then you need to do install new package (fw_set/printenv has been moved to libubootenv-tool).
apt-get install libubootenv-tool

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 12, 2021 03:25PM
Ah, I see. Yes somehow it is read-only for the Pogo Classic in 5.4.101. I must have swithched to the maniline version of the DTS and did not realize that.

I'll recompile a new DTB and post it here.

=====

Update:

Looks like it is also read-only in kernel version linux-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1 !!!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2021 03:30PM by bodhi.
December 12, 2021 04:59PM
Torsten,

So try download the kernel taball for linux-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1.

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044

Updated 02 Oct 2020:

Kernel linux-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1 package was uploaded.

New/Update features:

- Added broadcom b43 (CONFIG_B43) as loadable module
- Added REALTEK PHY (CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY)

Latest Linux kernel 4.x general release information can be found at:
LinuxChanges log

Download at Dropbox

linux-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1.bodhi.tar.bz2

md5:
195b22e4ebd307cd0950326cd8c52620
sha256:
f298c5b133953640ca53612bd4c7a359c59dc0c0e02c7de66d0feb3aefc66513

As always, please check the hash of what you download!

This tarball contains 6 files:

linux-image-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1_1.0_armel.deb
linux-headers-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1_1.0_armel.deb
config-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1
zImage-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1
linux-dtb-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1.tar
linux-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1.patch

And extract ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb from linux-dtb-4.14.198-oxnas-tld-1.tar. And then, copy it to /boot/dts.

mv /boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb /boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb.bak
cp -a ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb /boot/dts

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.