Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug E02 - Just switched to Debian from Arch Linux ARM. How about my.pogoplug.com service?

Posted by grayman4hire 
Hi All,

I just switched (one of my Pogoplug E02) from Arch Linux ARM to Debian this weekend.

Huge thanks to @bodhi for his kernel and rootfs provided in this thread - http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096, which made it super simple.

I got most of the functionality I had on ALARM working on Debian - samba, airprint, airplay, squeezelite, LMS, and mjpg_streamer.

Now the main thing I'm missing is the my.pogoplug.com service (original Cloud Engine software). @moonman, provided a package for the my.pogoplug.com service here - http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3343.

Wondering if my.pogoplug.com service can be ported somehow over to Debian? Thanks

gray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2014 12:47AM by grayman4hire.
hoping the same for my Pogoplug also.

i wonder how you make samba and mjpg_streamer work in debian , as i need to use samba and configure it to be access from Windows machine and to use Webcam to be monitor the office.

BR
samba is fairly simple to install

apt-get install samba

edit the smb.conf in /etc/samba/ or use mine https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42238/pogoplug/debian/smb.conf (open to all, share root$ and usb @ /media/usb/share)

mpg_streamer is a little more complex as I had to compile it myself. I plan to write a tutorial in the near future. Hang tight.
I have successfully managed to run my.pogoplug.com service on my Debianized Pogoplug Pro.

@grayman4hire,
Are you still interested for instructions?
@denexo,

Definitely interested in the instructions! Thank you.

gray
@ denexo

Can you post instructions as i need to use pogolug functionality for torrent setup.

Thanks

Andy
I am sorry for the delay for posting the instructions.
So to begin with: the main instructions as found here: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3343&sid=10bdcbbfb59816cd90ec2496fce86f17 are still valid. You still need to follow them in terms of testing the functionality and setting up the svcid. Only thing that changes is the procedure to install the executable and run it as a service. At this point i would like to say a big thank you to moonman for all the detailed instructions and executables.
So lets start:
1) I own a Pogoplug Pro. In order for the service to run i needed to have the latest kernel installed as this is provided by bodhi. At the moment of writing this guide the version is linux-3.16.0-oxnas-tld-4-bodhi.tar.bz2 and can be found here: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044 . With the kernel included at bodhi's rootfs (3.12 kernel version) the my.pogoplug coudn't run. A special thanks to bodhi for his patience and sharing his knowledge with us. Without him all this wouldn't have any point!
For Pogoplug E02 i suspect you will have to install the equivalent latest kirkwood kernel.
2) I am using the root user on my debianized pogoplug (knowing the possible risks), so there is no need for using sudo. If you have configured another user on your system, use sudo prior the following commands
3) After having installed the latest kernel, we download and install the latest my.pogoplug.com service files (at the moment of writing the version is 3.4.5.1)
cd /tmp
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15043728/ArchLinuxArm/my.pogoplug.com/pogoplug-3.4.5.1-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz
The file is a simple archive which we extract with the following command
mkdir -p pogoplug
tar -xvf pogoplug-3.4.5.1-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz -C pogoplug
So now we have all neede files inside the pogoplug folder. Time to copy files accordingly :
cd pogoplug
cp -R usr/local/cloudengines/ /usr/local/
cp etc/rc.d/pogoplug /etc/init.d/pogoplug
4) At this point you have to follow carefully the instructions from moonman in order to configure and test the service. Don't forget to move the pogoplug.conf to the /etc folder
5) Since we have a functional installation, it is time to make it run as a service.
cd /etc/init.d
update-rc.d pogoplug defaults
This is it! At this point we now have a functional my.pogoplug.com service installed and running at our debianized Pogoplug.
6) Or instead of creating a service, we can make start when our network is up and stop when our network is down
cd /etc/network/if-up.d/
touch popoplug
echo '#!/bin/sh' >>pogoplug
echo '/etc/init.d/pogoplug restart' >>pogoplug
chmod +x pogoplug
cd /etc/network/if-down.d/
touch popoplug
echo '#!/bin/sh' >>pogoplug
echo '/etc/init.d/pogoplug stop' >>pogoplug
chmod +x pogoplug

This is it guys. Hope it works for you as is it did for me :)

EDIT: Some possible caveats for Pogoplug Pro owners: by installing the latest kernel by bodhi, you will lose functionality of mjpeg-streamer. This it due to the fact that there is general linux kernel 3.16 bug that breaks uvcvideo functionality, which is needed by mjpeg-streamer. I am successfully using motion and v4l in order to access my webcam. You could try an older kernel version, but i cannot guarantee that it will work. The behavior i was getting with 3.12.3 kernel is that i couldn't access my shares although the device seemed online at my.pogoplug.com . This is due to the fact that there was no xce network device created, which is neeed for the service to run properly. With kernel 3.16, when running the service, i could see the xce network device created.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 03:55AM by denexo.
@denexo

Thanks for info I have a v2 plug so used the second set of instructions at the link you posted. Installed systemd as well and all went well now up and running. Now to get the torrent side working.
@Andy1888,

i am glad it worked for you too. I wasn't aware of the systemd package at Debian. Thanks for pointing out! One thing i have noticed is that the ffmpeg executable inside the tar doesn't work since it doesn't create thumbnails. Did you by any chance make it work?
Not sure what you mean by thumbnails. In my pogoplug I can see the photo images rather than just place boxes.
In my.pogoplug.com i can only see place boxes for images. There are no preview thumbnails unfortunately
It just worked straight away for me but i am using an e02 plug so used the install file in the second half which is an old version 3.26. Running 3.16 kernel.
grayman4hire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mpg_streamer is a little more complex as I had to
> compile it myself. I plan to write a tutorial in
> the near future. Hang tight.

I'm trying to get mpjg_streamer to work. Any hints?

I failed to get an image on Arch Linux with mjpg_streamer and now trying on Debian to compile for a Logitech Orbit AF. I can only pan and tilt with uvcdynctrl on Debian. Motion works in both Debian and Arch but no pan and and tilt.
@Andy1888,

could you please provide the link for your version? Also did you follow any specific instructions to change from init to systemd? Did you have to change something at u-boot parameters?
@denexo

will post later tonight when on home pc. I used download link and then re uploaded to my dropbox so i could get file. For systemd https://agentoss.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/debian-wheezy-and-systemd/
@ denexo

The instructions I followed were with systemd installed.

pm me if file required.

once downloaded to usr/local as per instructions file needs to be renamed to remove extra characters.

once renamed extract using this code (there is an error in instructions wrong variable)
tar zxf cloudengines.tar.gz

from there just follow instructions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 09:17AM by Andy1888.
@Andy1888,

it actually works !!! This version creates thumbnails properly! Most probably newer version use a different ffmpeg arguments command line, which requires a lot of trial and error in order to find out. Thanks very much !
Glad it worked for you. Will delete link to file now. If anyone wants file send me a pm.
rickgtx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> grayman4hire Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > mpg_streamer is a little more complex as I had
> to
> > compile it myself. I plan to write a tutorial
> in
> > the near future. Hang tight.
>
> I'm trying to get mpjg_streamer to work. Any
> hints?
>
> I failed to get an image on Arch Linux with
> mjpg_streamer and now trying on Debian to compile
> for a Logitech Orbit AF. I can only pan and tilt
> with uvcdynctrl on Debian. Motion works in both
> Debian and Arch but no pan and and tilt.

Sorry for the late reply, but here my MJPG_Streamer Tutorial - http://blog.qnology.com/2014/11/debian-on-pogoplug-tutorial-mjpg.html
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.