Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Samba package warning in topic Debian Security Advisory

Posted by Nuno 
Samba package warning in topic Debian Security Advisory
August 18, 2023 08:52AM
Hi!
I am using Samba on a regular basis on my GoFlex Home as a very basic home file sharing system (no domain controller).
Is it wise to keep doing so using the default Samba version in bullseye?
I am asking this because I tried to use the version from bullseye-backports a few months ago and my little box slowed to a crawl because, I suppose, it has low available RAM to run these newer versions (at least it appeared so from looking at htop output). Is this to be expected or might I be doing something wrong?
As it stands, I am a bit weary of upgrading to bookworm or installing other backports...
Thanks!
Re: Samba package warning in topic Debian Security Advisory
August 19, 2023 02:37PM
Nuno,

> As it stands, I am a bit weary of upgrading to
> bookworm or installing other backports...

I'm still on Debian bullseye for my GF Home boxes, which are my main NAS for streaming videos and music. And I have not noticed any slow down. For a closed home network environment, and with good hygiene (not using any thing from unknown sources), security is not much of a concern. However, if you tend to live on the wild side, I would try upgrading to bookworm. Backup your rootfs first (this is one of those times when we would realize that using USB rootfs is a good choice for a NAS).

=======

Anybody else has tried using Samba on bookworm?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2023 02:38PM by bodhi.
August 19, 2023 03:43PM
Thanks for the feedback!

bodhi
[...] And I have not noticed any slow down.[...]

Just to clarify... Are you using the samba backports (v4.17.10) or the stock bullseye one (v4.13.13)? I only seem to have slowdown issues while using v4.17.10.
August 19, 2023 04:58PM
> Just to clarify... Are you using the samba
> backports (v4.17.10) or the stock bullseye one
> (v4.13.13)? I only seem to have slowdown issues
> while using v4.17.10.

The stock bullseye.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
August 21, 2023 02:46PM
Ok... I'll stay in bullseye for the moment.
I guess my usage scenario is similar to the one you mention (no wild stuff around here :) ).
Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.