Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Howto create Kirkwood and Mvebu packages?

Posted by raffe 
Howto create Kirkwood and Mvebu packages?
September 24, 2023 07:55AM
I appreciate that bodhi creates new updated versions of "Linux Kernel 6.4.11 Kirkwood package and Debian rootfs" and "Linux Kernel 6.4.11 MVEBU package and Debian armhf rootfs", it has made my NASes so much more useful.

But lately I've started thinking about how to make them? Not to replace the versions here, but just to learn and understand.

Tried Googling and think you might have a Linux computer and in it you create a cross compiler, and I have also read here http://projects.doozan.com/uboot/build_uboot.htm

Found this guide https://wiki.debian.org/HowToCrossBuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage which seems like a good start.
There are for example, crossbuild-essential-armel that I think could be used for Kirkwood and crossbuild-essential-armhf that you can use for Mvebu.

And then you can follow the guide, but set ARCH=armel or ARCH=armhf.

But
If you run the fakeroot make lines, are the files created automatically as
linux-image-6.4.11-mvebu-tld-1_1_armhf.deb
linux-headers-6.4.11-mvebu-tld-1_1_armhf.deb

(zImage-6.4.11-mvebu-tld-1 you probably created this)
(config-6.4.11-mvebu-tld-1 you probably created this)
(linux-dtb-6.4.11-mvebu-tld-1.tar you probably created this)
(linux-6.4.11-mvebu-tld-1.patch you probably created this)

and same for
linux-image-6.4.11-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb
linux-headers-6.4.11-kirkwood-tld-1_1_armel.deb

(config-6.4.11-kirkwood-tld-1 you probably created this)
(zImage-6.4.11-kirkwood-tld-1 you probably created this)
(linux-dtb-6.4.11-kirkwood-tld-1.tar you probably created this)
(linux-6.4.11-kirkwood-tld-1.patch you probably created this)

Or are there more steps for the kernel? And are there even more things to do? Have you put more stuff in the cross compile folders?

Later also how to make a rootfs file.

See this as question as low priority, as I am not in a hurry to learn all this and I need to digest the information slowly to understand it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 08:03AM by raffe.
Re: Howto create Kirkwood and Mvebu packages?
September 28, 2023 10:48AM
Building a kernel is more or less following the steps in the page you linked.

The relevant commands I use are:

make olddefconfig ARCH=arm
make -j$(nproc) ARCH=arm KBUILD_DEBARCH=armel CROSS_COMPILE="arm-linux-gnueabi-" bindeb-pkg

make olddefconfig ARCH=arm
make -j$(nproc) ARCH=arm KBUILD_DEBARCH=armhf CROSS_COMPILE="arm-linux-gnueabihf-" bindeb-pkg

etc
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.