Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Basic steps to install Debian and new u-boot (or stock u-boot) on a Kirkwood box

Posted by bodhi 
Basic steps to install Debian and new u-boot (or stock u-boot) on a Kirkwood box
December 23, 2023 09:46PM
The basic steps to install Debian and new u-boot on a Kirkwood box.

A. Install from inside stock OS (or if you are running another Linux distro on this box already).

1. On another Linux box, create the Debian rootfs using Debian-6.5.7-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 (01 Nov 2023) (or the latest released rootfs) on a USB drive.

Debian:
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

(Scroll down to the section 01 Nov 2023. And following the instruction to create the rootfs on a USB thumb drive)

2. Dowload the u-boot tarball uboot.2017.07-tld-1.xxx.bodhi.tar to this new USB rootfs.

Where xxx is the name of your Kirwood box (GoFlexNet, GoFlexHome, PogoE02, Dockstar, iConnect, NetgearStora, PogoV4/Mobile, Sheevaplug, NSA325, NSA320, NSA310S/320S, NSA310, HP-T5325, Dreamplug).

U-Boot:
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

3. And then attach the new USB rootfs to the Kirwood box. From stock OS, follow the u-boot installation instruction to flash u-boot for your box.

4. Reboot. It will boot into Debian on USB rootfs.

===========

B. Install Debian at stock u-boot console

If your stock OS is bricked, and you cannot boot into it, connect serial console and follow this instruction:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,102054,105374#msg-105374

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2023 11:23PM by bodhi.
Re: Basic steps to install Debian and new u-boot on a Kirkwood box
December 23, 2023 09:46PM
Reserved.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 23, 2023 10:00PM
thanks for responding. I'm at the Netgear Stora> prompt :)))) Can I not push the linux image via tftp?
December 23, 2023 11:20PM
msh493,

I've updated the 1st post. See section B.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Re: Basic steps to install Debian and new u-boot (or stock u-boot) on a Kirkwood box
December 24, 2023 11:59AM
Thanks again for your generous response. Let's see if I got this right. I have now booted up the device with an EXT3 FS on a 16GB USB. It's as slow as a turtle over serial. And that's it, I now can install whatever I want including Samba and mount drives? Did I get this right?
Re: Basic steps to install Debian and new u-boot (or stock u-boot) on a Kirkwood box
December 24, 2023 01:50PM
> I have now booted up the
> device with an EXT3 FS on a 16GB USB. It's as slow
> as a turtle over serial. And that's it, I now can
> install whatever I want including Samba and mount
> drives? Did I get this right?

Yes. That's it. The whole system is now running on USB. You can SSH in using root/root credential.

And you can also try to create the rootfs on one of the HDDs the same way and and run the system from there. The u-boot envs (you have set to boot USB rootfs) need to be a bit different from when you boot HDD rootfs. Post if you are not sure.

========

Later, try running kwboot with the new Stora u-boot. This is the way to unbrick the box when the stock u-boot was messed up. And then install this new u-boot on NAND.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 25, 2023 12:09PM
Thanks. It's slower than my NFS over a VPN connection. BUT... after a few days, I can say I learned a lot from all of you, specially your generous response. I can now say I can connect via an FTDI board; play around with U-Boot commands over serial; and flash it. I'll never use it, but I know how it is done now.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.