Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Squeezebox server

Posted by laurent 
laurent
Squeezebox server
October 18, 2010 09:12PM
Hi,
Was anyone of your successful in running a squeezebox server on the Dockstar with Debian installed.
This is my one and only goal and I just can't. I'm a newbie for sure, although I was able to install Debian, Webmin and Samba on the Dockstar. I seem to have to kind of a squeezeserver running although I can't access it through the browser interface. If anyone is successful and has a tutorial (that works)...
Thanks
Re: Squeezebox server
October 20, 2010 02:26PM
Hi,

I have a squeezebox server running on my dockstar.

To install it I did:
cd ~
wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeboxServer_v7.5.1/squeezeboxserver_7.5.1_all.deb
dpkg -i squeezeboxserver_7.5.1_all.deb
apt-get -f install

I think I had to install MySql too, to get it work with something like:
apt-get install mysql-server

Sorry, I don't have a howto, this is all from memory.

twinpeaks
laurent
October 21, 2010 09:16PM
Thanks Twinpeaks. I'm gonna give it a try ;-)

L
laurent
October 21, 2010 09:24PM
it Worked !! I can get access to my browser ! Thank you so much.
One more question, how do I mount and share an external drive on the dockstar so that I can direct the server to it?
Thanks again ;-)
Ehode
October 23, 2010 01:03AM
Thanks twinpeaks, that helped me get mine up and going tonight also.
truehl
October 28, 2010 01:35AM
You could take a look at my blog: http://squeezeplug.de

Greetings
Thomas
October 28, 2010 06:26AM
In my experience running 7.6 gives better performance on low-specced systems as it uses sqlite instead of mysql.

I've got 7.6 nightly running fine on my dockstar.

Cheers,
Menno
truehl
October 28, 2010 08:38AM
I agree 100%. In my setup script you can choose between 7.5.x and 7.6. I recommand the 7.6.

Greetings,
Thomas
laurent
October 29, 2010 11:40PM
Thomas,

I would be glad to try your method but I'm on a mac and haven't figured out how to put the 8 Gb dmg image on a 4Gb USB stick...

Also, can someone help me in how to direct the squeezeboxserver to where my music is...
I'm hoping to use a Drobo with 2x 2Tb HD in it. I just don't know how to direct to this drive. I tried to mount it in mnt without much success so far, but I don't know what I'm doing anyway...

Thanks for any help,

Laurent
truehl
October 31, 2010 11:48AM
Hi Laurent,
the new SqueezePlug_dockstar_image_3.10 comes as an 4 GB image. You can use smaba or nfs on the drobo I think. Try with samba first. See my wiki: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlug#Filesharing_Connection

Good Luck,
Greetings, Thomas
laurent
November 01, 2010 10:21PM
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the help.
I'm downloading the .exe file of the image and will decompress will a windows emulation on the mac before hopefully putting the image on the USB stick. If I understood correctly, I need Jeff's Debian Installled on the dockstar (which I have) reboot with the USB stick with the image and voila...?
Is there anyway we can communicate by another channel as I'm not sure that It is so interesting to this group ;-)
I'm sorry to be so bad, but been on a Mac doesn't help in this case. Also the drobo will be hfs+, samba should be fine but will the slimserver be ok with such format?

Thanks again,

Laurent
truehl
November 02, 2010 06:58AM
laurent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for the help.
> I'm downloading the .exe file of the image and
> will decompress will a windows emulation on the
> mac before hopefully putting the image on the USB
> stick. If I understood correctly, I need Jeff's
> Debian Installled on the dockstar (which I have)
> reboot with the USB stick with the image and
> voila...?
> Is there anyway we can communicate by another
> channel as I'm not sure that It is so interesting
> to this group ;-)

Hi Laurent,
you will need a Dockstar with a changed boot enviroment so you can boot Debian from a USB-Stick. Then you only need my stick and you will boot a fully preconfigured SqueezePlug! You can easyly follow my Wiki. Please visit my blog: http://squeezeplug.de.

Greetings,
Thomas
> I'm sorry to be so bad, but been on a Mac doesn't
> help in this case. Also the drobo will be hfs+,
> samba should be fine but will the slimserver be ok
> with such format?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Laurent
laurent
November 03, 2010 04:23PM
Thomas,

I was able to burn your img on a USB key with the iMac !! Not as easy as it sounds. Anyway, it's done so I'm pretty much ready to try.
Before that I tried to mount my Drobo. It is formatted HFS+ and I thought that Debian could read/write HFS+ drive.
However, I can't mount it. This is necessary before I can direct the Slimserver to my music files.
Can you help?
This is what I get

Thanks

Laurent

Disk /dev/sdb: 17592.2 GB, 17592186044416 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2138794 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 267350 2147483647 ee GPT
root@debian:~# mount /dev/sdb1 /media/Drobo -t hfsplus
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

root@debian:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 2.9G 795M 2.0G 29% /
/dev/root 2.9G 795M 2.0G 29% /
tmpfs 61M 0 61M 0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs 10M 144K 9.9M 2% /dev
tmpfs 61M 0 61M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 61M 0 61M 0% /tmp
November 03, 2010 06:22PM
Hi Laurent,

You probably have to install the HFS stuff before. I don't have a Mac, so I'm only guessing here.
apt-get update
apt-cache search hfs
gives you a list of hfs related stuff.
"hfsplus - Tools to access HFS+ formatted volumes" does sound like a good starting point to me. So:
apt-get install hfsplus
Then try again to mount it.

Regards,
Oliver
laurent
November 03, 2010 07:29PM
Thanks Oliver.
I did install hfsplus, also hfsprogs... No success.

After reading a bit, I think (and of course I really have no idea) that the problem is the GPT format. With this format I have a 16 Tb drive (pretending by the DROBO) HFS+. I'm not sure that linux can handle this. I think that I would need a drive with a Master boot record and no bigger than 2 Tb. Do you think that it might be the case?
I tried to format the drive with NTFS-3g and got the same result. fdisk doesn't want to format it because it's GPT and I can't mount it...

Any Guru out there that could help someone like me? ;-)

Thanks

L.
laurent
November 03, 2010 08:04PM
GPT is poised to become the standard for hard disk partitioning because of the size limitations of the MBR. Fortunately, Linux is well prepared for this transition. Although Linux users may have to give up certain tools (LILO and fdisk, for instance), other tools are available to take their places (patched versions of GRUB and GNU Parted, for example). Understanding the requirements will help you make the transition easily when the time comes to do so. You'll need to attend to your kernel configuration, your boot loader configuration, and the utilities you use to create and manage partitions.
laurent
November 03, 2010 11:11PM
Ok, if anyone is interested... After hours on this thing...

I reformated the Drobo with Diskutils on the iMac with a 2 Tb partition HFS with the option MBR.
This was identified by Debian once plugged in into the Dockstar.
I created a mount point
mkdir /media/Drobo

I was able to mount the Drobo with

mount -t hfsplus -o rw /deb/sdb1 /media/Drobo

I then directed the slimserver to /media/Drobo

I set up Samba so that the drive would be share with the iMac. I followed the instructions in Thomas's wiki. Well I could certainly see the drive on my desktop but I couldn't write on it. So I did:

cd media
chmod ugo+rwx Drobo

I restarted Samba and now I could have write/read access to the shared drive.

I put a few songs in the library, scanned it and voila... Music was playing through my squeezebox !!
Now I also directed iTunes to use this library too. I'm transferring my whole library to the Drobo... 250 GB.
I find iTunes to be very slow. Let's see if it gets better once the all the files are transferred and analyzed.

I hope this can help somebody.

2TB DROBO -> Dockstar running Slimserver -> Squeezebox
Samba -> iMac
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.