Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mount root filesystem as Read Only

Posted by varkey 
Mount root filesystem as Read Only
October 20, 2010 03:21AM
The frequency of power failures in my area is high and each time I have to do a filesystem check manually for the dock to boot from USB again.

I wanted to know how I can mount the / partition as read only. What all changes are to be made etc. Can someone point me to a good guide on how to do it?
Re: Mount root filesystem as Read Only
October 20, 2010 03:28AM
I do not know about read-only, however the lenny system installed on my dockstar used ext2, which doesn't handle power failures very good.

I changed mine to a journaling filesystem (ext3), by simply replacing the "ext2" to "ext3" under /etc/fstab
(The kernel automatically adapted the ext2 partition to an ext3 one by adding a journal on the first mount)

cheers,
erez.
October 20, 2010 07:42AM
Oh. So after changing it to ext3 is it working fine after a power failure?
October 21, 2010 01:20AM
With ext3 Power failures shouldn't be a problem anymore because it is a journaling Filesystem.

But if you use a USB Stick for Storing your system partition be careful because ext3 puts far more write cycles on your stick than ext2 (because of the journal).
October 31, 2010 06:30PM
Hello,

I changed the /dev/root fstab entry from ext2 to etx3. Yet when I list the mounts after a reboot, I see that the /dev/root is mounted as ext2... :/

any ideas how to force the ext3 mount ?
November 01, 2010 05:33AM
You also need to run "fw_setenv usb_rootfstype ext3" as root to change it; that variable defaults to ext2 and seems to override /etc/fstab.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.