Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debian on Pogo E02 Hosed

Posted by Frederick Grayson 
Debian on Pogo E02 Hosed
October 12, 2014 02:07PM
No idea what happened. My Pogo E02 running Debian Wheezy on a USB attached SSD boots just far enough to be pingable, but no ssh access.

I took the drive to another machine and ran a fsck. It was clean.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks.
Re: Debian on Pogo E02 Hosed
October 12, 2014 05:03PM
If you have cloned this rootfs from an existing rootfs which has been running on another box, then udev rules need adjustment (the numbers in file name might be different depending on Linux installation).

- Change the white list in this file (Eth*, Wlan*) to remove eth* and wlan*
/lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
KERNEL!="Eth*|ath*|Wlan*[0-9]|msh*|ra*|sta*|ctc*|lcs*|hsi*", \

- Comment out everything in this file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 12, 2014 05:54PM
It's not clear what you want me to do with this. This is what's in that part of the file:

# device name whitelist
KERNEL!="Eth*|ath*|Wlan*[0-9]|msh*|ra*|sta*|ctc*|lcs*|hsi*", \
                                        GOTO="persistent_net_generator_end"

How should it read after making the changes I do not understand?

Everything in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules was already commented out.

The drive was not cloned. It just wouldn't boot up past being pingable. I took it to another box and ran a more extensive e2fsck and a bunch of inode problems were fixed, but no improvement.

Edit: One additional observation. TCP port 111 is open, but no others, and as I said it's pingable.

Edit: Looking at the drive via another machine I see that most of /Var is missing. Looks hopeless. I'll copy /etc off start thinking about a reinstall.

Any suggestions for a backup/tool?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2014 06:53PM by Frederick Grayson.
October 12, 2014 08:18PM
Your rootfs udev net rules are Ok. That's how they are after modification. The behavior pointed to a copied rootfs, hence my suggestion.

You could try to create fresh rootfs from my thread, boot with it. If it works normally, then you know something is wrong in your current rootfs.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.