Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with USB Boot

Posted by syro 
Problem with USB Boot
August 20, 2010 10:07PM
We have a little Problem with the debian.

First after the Install it boots into Debian and we can install everything like apache, smb and so on. After a reboot the System dont start. And if its start it starts the PogoPlug from the Nand. After Flashing the Uboot to md3 it doesnt change anything.

We have tried to change from dhcp to static (etc/network/interfaces) run fsck over the usb. Have Tried 3 different usb sticks. And 2 different Dockstar Devices.

Maybe a new Firmware? We have disabled the Home Connection with Telnet (etc/hosts) without connecting the device to the net.

Thanks

Syr0
ed
Re: Problem with USB Boot
August 21, 2010 11:24AM
same problem here, do you find a solution?
Julian Wolter
August 21, 2010 12:53PM
Hello,
I think I have the same problem. See my other post.

Has anybody a solution yet?
August 21, 2010 12:53PM
Same problem here.
And almost everywhere.
It's like as if plug devices have all gone crazy.
Alex
August 21, 2010 01:16PM
Same problem too.
Ed
August 21, 2010 02:03PM
I do a workaround with a script found in a french forum. The script is called from pogoplug rcS initscript and check if there is a ssh connection. If there is no ssh connection it reboots. Simple. Here is the link of his install script http://www.galipe.net/example/ds-autoreboot-install
August 21, 2010 05:02PM
A few clarifications and ideas for everyone:

1) Unless you've changed things, the default setup will alternate between booting Debian and Pogoplug. If you don't like that, see here for a fix.

2) When you install Debian Squeeze using my scripts, you do NOT need to run any of the uBoot installer scripts. The updated uBoot is installed automatically to mtd3 and the boot environment is altered to properly boot Debian Squeeze.

3) If you do make the mistake of running the uBoot scripts after installing Debian Squeeze, it will reset the boot environment and Debian will not boot. You can fix the boot environment by running the following command from the Pogoplug install:
fw_setenv bootcmd_usb 'run set_bootargs_usb; run usb_init; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; bootm 0x800000 0x1100000'

4) If the above notes don't apply to you, connect a serial cable and watch what's happening. It's probably something that will seem obvious once you see it.

-- Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2010 06:05PM by Jeff.
August 21, 2010 05:02PM
hey thanks for all your postings =) even if their are members who still have the same problem =)

i have made my config with telnet, i tought omg everyone tells to enable ssh but dont do the update. well so i tought whats about telnet? and it worked =) i was happy and tought to hell with the ssh enabler =D

but i will try this fix and say very much thx =)

syro
August 21, 2010 05:05PM
Jeff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few clarifications and ideas for everyone:
>
> 1) Unless you've changed things, the default setup
> will alternate between booting Debian and
> Pogoplug. If you don't like that, see here for a
> fix.
>
> 2) When you install Debian Squeeze using my
> scripts, you do NOT need to run any of the uBoot
> installer scripts. The updated uBoot is installed
> automatically to mtd3 and the boot environment is
> altered to properly boot Debian Squeeze.
>
> 3) If you do make the mistake of running the uBoot
> scripts after installing Debian Squeeze, it will
> reset the boot environment and Debian will not
> boot. You can fix the boot environment by running
> the following command from the Pogoplug install:
> blparam 'bootcmd_usb=run set_bootargs_usb; run
> usb_init; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000
> /boot/uImage; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000
> /boot/uInitrd; bootm 0x800000 0x1100000'
>
> 4) If the above notes don't apply to you, connect
> a serial cable and watch what's happening. It's
> probably something that will seem obvious once you
> see it.
>
> -- Jeff

Sorry for the Double Post

Part 3 will this run Debian and if no usb is connected pogoplug? and is it possible to use the fw_setenv command?

Thx

Edit: Another question i have reinstalled the debian on the device so it reflash the mtd3? so it should boot after a new installed system?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2010 05:32PM by syro.
August 21, 2010 06:07PM
3) You should use fw_setenv and not blparam. That was a typo. It will configure the uBoot on mtd3 to boot debian squeeze and failing that, boot pogoplug.

Yes, if you re-install Debian, it will configure the boot parameters correctly.
August 21, 2010 06:28PM
Well i have reinstalled the Device more than 1 time about 5 - 7 Times on 2 different devices and different usb sticks still the Problem First boot all finde second boot (after halt ;-)) it fails and it boots the pogoplug. I have tried to fsck the device and disabled dhcp with a static ip.

Still problems
I got the device on the 19.8.2010 and was sent at the 16.8.2010. Maybe new fixes?

Syr0

Edit #1:

Thx Jeff for all of your Work =) You are great.

I have reinistalled my Dockstar with Debian Lenny and now it seems that it works... well sometimes it boots debian, sometimes it boots pogoplug =) but i would prefer that it works 101%.

Edit #2:

It seems that if i type "halt" or "reboot" at debian it reboots in pogoplug. after a reboot in pogoplug with "reboot" it boots pogoplug but with "/sbin/reboot/" it boots into debian.

Edit #3:
Ok OK =) Have reinstalled the Squeeze and have to say that the "/sbin/reboot" trick works for me =) after this command it boots into debian.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2010 09:55AM by syro.
August 22, 2010 02:10PM
The 'dual boot' issue can now be fixed by installing my newer uBoot on mtd0.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.