Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Front LED wont light up on Pogo E02

Posted by Adam 
Front LED wont light up on Pogo E02
January 26, 2015 02:43PM
so i just finished setting up my fourth Pogo E02, and the LED doesnt come on after it finishes booting.

from what i can tell, the LED is controlled by /etc/rc.local , and i know that is being run because I added my own line to it for autossh, and that is working perfectly.
I plugged the USB drive from my third pogo into the fourth, and the LED came on properly, so this would probably be fixed by re-installing the rootfs, but i wanted to check to see what kind of troubleshooting steps i could take before I did that.

thanks!
Re: Front LED wont light up on Pogo E02
January 26, 2015 03:05PM
i actually just called to check on one of my remote pogos (located with my parents) and was told that the LED on that one was also not lit up... so im hoping that somone has suggestions other than starting from scratch :)
January 27, 2015 12:15AM
Can you remote login to those boxes? if you can then it's easy to look at possible syntax errors in rc.local (most of the the time it is that simple).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
January 27, 2015 10:34AM
i can remote into the original two, and i have the two new ones on my desk.
the two on my desk seem to have identical rc.local files.

i think i understand kinda how the script is supposed to work, so i looked in /sys/class/leds/ and found something strange.
in the pogo/rootfs that has a working LED, /sys/class/leds/ contains:

in the other three, /sys/class/leds/ contains:
status:green:health status:white:left0 status:white:left2 status:white:right0 status:white:right2
status:orange:fault status:white:left1 status:white:left3 status:white:right1 status:white:right3

also, to test, i commented out the line that turns on the LED on the working unit
#echo default-on > /sys/class/leds/status:green:health/trigger
and sure enough, upon reboot, the LED didnt turn on, but all i had to do was run that one line as root, and the LED came on. i cant say the same for the other units.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 10:43AM by Adam.
January 27, 2015 11:54AM
Adam,

> status:green:health status:orange:fault
>

These are correct for Pogo E02

> in the other three, /sys/class/leds/ contains:
> status:green:health status:white:left0
> status:white:left2 status:white:right0
> status:white:right2
> status:orange:fault status:white:left1
> status:white:left3 status:white:right1
> status:white:right3
>

These are wrong for Pogo E02. These are for GoFlex Net. So these 3 Pogo E02 are running as GoFlex Net.

Which rootfs are you running on each of these? if they are from my 3.17 rootfs, then you might have used the GoFlex Net DTB (which is wrong) during installation. If they were from my 3.16 rootfs then archNumber env on each is the wrong one.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 27, 2015 12:19PM
i looked back at my install notes, and it is definitely because i didnt change "kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb" to "kirkwood-pogo_e02.dtb"

ok so now i know that i improperly installed two pogo e02 units, but they are both about 1000 miles away right now. what else did my mistake effect? (one of the plugs has been up and running for about a month with (seemingly) no issues)
January 27, 2015 01:05PM
Adam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i looked back at my install notes, and it is
> definitely because i didnt change
> "kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb" to
> "kirkwood-pogo_e02.dtb"
>
>
> ok so now i know that i improperly installed two
> pogo e02 units, but they are both about 1000 miles
> away right now. what else did my mistake effect?
> (one of the plugs has been up and running for
> about a month with (seemingly) no issues)

Nothing bad, because both are of the same Soc. So they would be running fine. The most important difference is the Pogo E02 has 256 MB RAM, and the GoFlex Net has only 128 MB RAM. So you can't use all the RAM on those with GoFlexNet DTB. The minor difference is that the LED is not going to light up correctly, but it does not hurt anything.

You could remote login and remake the uImage with the Pogo E02 DTB (it's there in /boot/dts/), and reboot. Or just run it this way temporarily (and you must check their operating status yourself since your folks can not be able to tell with the current LED status) and fix it when you're there.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 27, 2015 02:03PM
I wont be back on that side of the country for about 8 months, so I would like to remotely fix it.
If i understand you correctly, running the following on the pogoplug as root would solve my problem:
###
cd /boot
cp -a zImage-3.17.0-kirkwood-tld-1 zImage.fdt
cat dts/kirkwood-pogo_e02.dtb >> zImage.fdt
# I added the following line to deal with the uImage.orig file that i created the first time i ran this script in december
mv uImage.orig uImage.orig.1
mv uImage uImage.orig
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-3.17.0-kirkwood-tld-1 -d /media/sdb1/boot/zImage.fdt /media/sdb1/boot/uImage
sync
shutdown -r
###

can you confirm?

thanks!
January 27, 2015 02:30PM
Adam,

The below bold lines are my correction. First, because you are inside a live Pogo E02, and with 2 more sync commands to make sure:
cd /boot 
cp -a zImage-3.17.0-kirkwood-tld-1 zImage.fdt 
cat dts/kirkwood-pogo_e02.dtb >> zImage.fdt 
# I added the following line to deal with the uImage.orig file that i created the first time i ran this script in december 
mv uImage.orig uImage.orig.1 
mv uImage uImage.orig 
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-3.17.0-kirkwood-tld-1 -d /boot/zImage.fdt /boot/uImage 
sync
sync
sync 
shutdown -r

If you want to be sure, before you fix those, prepare a rootfs USB for the Pogo E02 and send them the stick, in case your remote fixing goes bad :) It's an extra precaution. The commands above should work.

In any case, those remote Pogo E02s should have a cloned USB rootfs for each, in case anything bad happens to the rootfs then they can just replace the USB stick and back running again.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 27, 2015 02:57PM
oh wow. I totally missed fixing the other instances of "/media/sdb1" ! thanks for catching that :)

I was able to fix both of them with that little script!

can I buy you a beer? :-P
January 27, 2015 11:28PM
Cool!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.