Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debian Linux on Zyxel NSA320S (success)

Posted by chrlee 
Re: Debian Linux on Zyxel NSA320S (success)
August 30, 2016 07:31AM
Hard work!

Now, I Can boot up the kernel, but how Can I specify the rootfs path?

At my pendrive, I have only one partition (ext2) with rootfs and a /boot directory with my edited uImage.

Thanks!

Here is a pastebin (sorry, the text's end is invisible, because I used mini terminal window).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 07:31AM by Mr Dini.
August 30, 2016 08:00AM
Okay, now I loaded the uInitrd too.

But it says this about two minutes:

Marvell>> ext2load usb 0:1 0x800000 /boot/uImage                                
....                                                                            
.                                                                               
......                                                                          
............                                                                    
.........................                                                       
...................................................                             
................................................................................
................................................................................

3168347 bytes read                                                              
Marvell>> ext2load usb 0:1 0xf00000 /boot/uInitrd                               
....                                                                            
.                                                                               
......                                                                          
............                                                                    
.........................                                                       
...................................................                             

7179935 bytes read                                                              
Marvell>> bootm 0x800000 0xf00000                                               
## Booting image at 00800000 ...                                                
   Image Name:   Linux-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1                                     
   Created:      2016-08-29  12:18:53 UTC                                       
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)                          
   Data Size:    3168283 Bytes =  3 MB                                          
   Load Address: 00008000                                                       
   Entry Point:  00008000                                                       
   Verifying Checksum ... OK                                                    
OK                                                                              
## Loading Ramdisk Image at 00f00000 ...                                        
   Image Name:   initramfs-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1                                 
   Created:      2016-02-19   7:33:04 UTC                                       
   Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)                      
   Data Size:    7179871 Bytes =  6.8 MB                                        
   Load Address: 00000000                                                       
   Entry Point:  00000000                                                       
   Verifying Checksum ... OK                                                    

Starting kernel ...                                                             

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
August 30, 2016 04:25PM
Mr Dini,

> Marvell>> ext2load usb 0:1 0xf00000 /boot/uInitrd
>

Wrong addres, should be
ext2load usb 0:1 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd

If you like, interrupt serial console after it booted and get the liting of envs and post here and I'll take a look. The rootfs label needs to be in the bootargs.

printenv

Or you can search this thread or an example of envs settings for booting with stock NSA310S/320S:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,22241

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
August 31, 2016 11:16AM
Thanks a lot! I'm in finish! :) The machine booted up successfuly and it is working fast and stable.

Awesome!
August 31, 2016 03:55PM
Mr Dini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks a lot! I'm in finish! :) The machine booted
> up successfuly and it is working fast and stable.
>
> Awesome!

Cool!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 27, 2020 05:43PM
Hi

I am upgrading from go flex net to nsa320s! and now I am reading the forum like in the old days.

I am looking to access serial console and I would like to ask community what would be the best way to open up the box?!?? It is quite well build and I am afraid of breaking the plastic if I press too hard. There must be some tricks to open it up without breaking it.

Much appreciated
May 27, 2020 11:35PM
Hey enki,

Welcome back!

> I am looking to access serial console and I would
> like to ask community what would be the best way
> to open up the box?!?? It is quite well build and
> I am afraid of breaking the plastic if I press too
> hard. There must be some tricks to open it up
> without breaking it.

It is simple. There is no plastic hinge that I can recall.

- Remove 2 screws from the bottom of the case
- Remove the face plate by pulling it to the left (that's how you access the internal HDD caddies).
- Slide the cover to the front. You need a little bit of friction, perhaps wearing plastic gloves would help. The cover is on the left side (the right side is fixed to the chassis).
- Now you have the board exposed.
- (this description came from my memory so you need to verify it) But the serial console header is not on the board side where there is enough room so that you can plug in a connector with 3 wires. You have to remove the board by removing some more screws. However, if you have some really small test clips, you could potentially use them to connect each wire without removing the entire board from the chassis.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 29, 2020 03:09PM
Hi Bodhi,

Glad to hear from you. It is been a while ... saw community and devices grew since early days.

Go Flex Net boxes are still working as they are very robust!!! even all these years, almost 15 years! I have replaced usb disks wth ssd on usb fro boot and now I wanted to catchup with NSA 3XX family.

Many thanks for your step by step details. We have opened the plastic box and got to the serial connection and we get it up and running!

Get back to you very soon,

BR, E
May 29, 2020 04:41PM
Hi Bodhi

Is it safe to assume that NSA320s is identical with NSA310s? Thanks.

BR
May 29, 2020 05:43PM
enki,

> Is it safe to assume that NSA320s is identical
> with NSA310s? Thanks.

Yes. It is identical in every way except the 2nd SATA. I din't change much of chrlee's original NSA320S DTS, other than cosmetic stuff like LED names.

I've built u-boot and kernel to include the 2nd SATA in the NSA310S. So it is identical.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
MXX
February 20, 2021 03:47PM
Hi all

Looking forward to installing debian on NSA320S. Are there any step by step instructions available?

What service are you running on these boxes? I'd need more or less NFS, ssh and perhaps some additional services for easy management.
February 20, 2021 03:55PM
MXX,

> Looking forward to installing debian on NSA320S.
> Are there any step by step instructions
> available?

Create Debian rootfs on USB, and install new u-boot. Both can be done inside stock OS.

However, I'd recommend creating the rootfs using another Linux box first.

Debian rootfs

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

Download u-boot tarball to the new Debian rootfs. Log into stock OS, attach the USB rootfs and install u-boot.

U-Boot

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.