Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dockstar is a discontinued model!

Posted by truehl 
truehl
Dockstar is a discontinued model!
October 28, 2010 03:48AM
Dockstar a discontinued model!

I've just got an eMail from Seagate, that the Dockstar will not produced anymore! Instead Seagate places FreeAgent GoFlex http://www.seagate.com/www/de-de/products/network_storage/file-sharing .

What does that mean for us? I think Jeffs Debian will work on this device?!

The bad things about this are: The FreeAgent GoFlex costs at lot more and the device has only one USB-Port left.

What do you think?

Greetings,
Thomas
Re: Dockstar is a discontinued model!
October 28, 2010 04:05AM
u could still attach a usb hub to that usb port... so it's not really that bad :P
truehl
October 28, 2010 03:00PM
Is there someone to confirm FreeAgent GoFlex runs with Jeffs Debian???

Greetings,
Thomas
October 28, 2010 03:33PM
The GoFlex NET is supported by the latest uBoot installer. The GoFlex HOME doesn't need an updated uBoot -- it ships with a version that supports USB out of the box.

-- Jeff
October 29, 2010 03:01AM
As long as a new model does not support USB 3.0 I do not see a reason for upgrading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 03:02AM by PlugCluster.
November 18, 2010 08:03PM
Reviews show the two drives have SATA connectors, thus you can much better speeds than we get from USB. Just need to hear if it's hackable, then wait for a sale.

see pic http://www.techolive.com/2010/06/mini-review-seagate-goflex-net-media-sharing-device
November 19, 2010 11:59AM
This just means that the remaining DockStars will be cheaper probably - look out for more bargains.

I'd be surprised if having eSATA rather than USB would make much practical difference in terms of speed for most people. I only have a 100Mbps LAN at home so disk transfer speed is not the limiting factor.

If people use these things as they were intended, having eSATA won't make any difference anyhow. After all, who's got a 3Gbps internet connection?

It's good to see more of these devices coming out though. It will lower the cost across the board and encourage even more entertaining hackery.
November 19, 2010 08:07PM
All devices are connected at gigabit at my place, at least the PC's dockstar, switches etc. Also I/O for processing itself will be faster. Does putting an SSD in a computer help? I think so...
November 22, 2010 10:54PM
Well I've got these little beauties as core to my global domination, in my home I have one Dockstar as router (WAN is 6Mbit) and my LAN is 100Mbit. I have another Dockstar as my Torrent and Airvideo server and file-server, connected at 100Mbit and to a 802.11g router which is basically doing about 20Mbits. So the 100Mbit network is the fastest part and nothing can really tax the harddrive.

I'd say if you have a faster network particularly as mentioned 1Gbit to the desktop, then the choke point moved to the USB storage.
Note to keep my harddrive and my boot USB at least-contention, I had a 128MB USB stick which I now use as a swap because at peak-load my Dockstar is swapping. 128MB is a tad tight when doing Torrent and Airvideo concurrently, that's the more common issue for me, not the network or the storage performance. Hence why I've moved the little swap, typically about 40MB off to another stick had been collecting dust for years.

In another country I have a Sheevaplug its woefully over-spec'd
free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        513752     509424       4328          0      40196     413592
-/+ buffers/cache:      55636     458116

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.