Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frak what did I just update.

Posted by glalonde 
Frak what did I just update.
November 01, 2010 08:22PM
I wanted to update the list of places it looks for software distributions.
Did a apt-get update distro, when I seen what it was doing I guess I should have stopped it. Downloaded a massive amount of stuff. I was thinking it was not going to boot but it did.

My LCD program had issues after reboot, got
claim failed with error -1

then I tried it as root:
interface 0 already claimed by driver "usbhid", attempting to detach it

Then it worked. I guess it updated a bunch of stuff. I assume not the kernel given it still boots.

Assume that apt-get update distro does a system wide update. Does that include the kernal? If so why does it still work?
Intro article on dockstar is up on my blog, one about using debian will be up in a month or so.

Many thanks for your help.
Glen Lalonde.
www.binarysearchtree.com
jmandawg
Re: Frak what did I just update.
November 01, 2010 09:24PM
Do a uname -r and see what kernal is running, here is the result of mine:

root@debian:~# uname -r
2.6.32-5-kirkwood

November 01, 2010 10:03PM
uname -r
2.6.32-5-kirkwood

uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.32-5-kirkwood #1 Sat Sep 18 15:20:08 UTC 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux

Guess I'm ok...
November 02, 2010 05:32AM
This may be a silly question, but it's best to be sure. Did you run "apt-get update," or "apt-get upgrade?" "update" is what you said, all that does is updates apt's package information; it doesn't download any packages or install them. "upgrade" is what upgrades the packages (including your kernel) on your computer.
November 02, 2010 05:52AM
jmandawg
Do a uname -r and see what kernal is running, here is the result of mine:

That kernel version doesn't matter all that much in Debian; several kernel updates can be done, and have been done, and not have that number change. Since I installed Debian on my Dockstar in the beginning of September, I've seen aptitude upgrade the kernel at least twice, and that kernel version number hasn't changed. I think that's the version frozen for squeeze, so it won't change. On the other hand, the Debian version number for the kernel has incremented each time.

Alternatives are (1) run "uname -a" and notice the date stamp (mind reads "Wed Oct 20 12:58:44 UTC 2010" and that's the latest currently in squeeze), (2) dpkg -l linux-image-2.6-kirkwood (mine's 2.6.32+28) (3) apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6-kirkwood (that'll tell you if there's an update available if you've run apt-get update lately)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.