Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

(WIP) Linux Kernel and rootfs 4.14.24 for Seagate Business Storage NAS (CNS3xxx) package

Posted by bodhi 
bodhi, Yama, tommy79, markTurner.

Looking for some tips to port the work done here

https://github.com/KL-Yang/seagate_central_linux

to the latest 4.19 kernel.

Here it mentions doing "make uImage" but in this thread it always refers to mkimage. If I want to create a fresh kernel and initrd, and use mkimage, what are my options for the "-d" . Can I use the existing working 4.19 kernel from the download link on the repo README? Or can I make initrd a different way. My build env is Ubuntu 19.10.

So far trying to use even the linux.4.4.121 source code from Tommy. I do not get a fully working kernel. It boots but then does a stack trace. Same with my port to 4.19.110 and the latest 4.14. This is a two bay Seagate Business Storage LAN. I can get the bodhi kernel from the opening page to boot but do not get a network. . Ideally I would like to get the latest 4.19 but will setting for 4.14 or 4.4 if I have to. I guess 5.X is not an option or has anyone played with that yet?

Thanks for any tips you can provide in helping me gen my own kernel and initrd.

Keith
Re: (WIP) Linux Kernel and rootfs 4.14.24 for Seagate Business Storage NAS (CNS3xxx) package
March 19, 2020 07:45PM
Keith,

> Here it mentions doing "make uImage" but in this
> thread it always refers to mkimage.

Use mkimage. It is a manual command to produce the uImage the way you want. make depends on the Makefile in the directory that you are running.

> So far trying to use even the linux.4.4.121 source
> code from Tommy. I do not get a fully working
> kernel. It boots but then does a stack trace.

Depending on how serious the error is. Can you post serial console log?

> Same with my port to 4.19.110 and the latest
> 4.14. This is a two bay Seagate Business Storage
> LAN. I can get the bodhi kernel from the opening
> page to boot but do not get a network.

The kernel I posted was only a work-in-progress build. So there are a lot more that need to be added. That network problem might be that the DTS definition was not correct for that part. In fact, I just took a peek at my patch, there is no network definition in it! not sure why (it was too long ago and I've archived this project build).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2020 10:51PM by bodhi.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.