Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hard or flash drive ?

Posted by Reniera 
Hard or flash drive ?
November 03, 2010 05:48PM
Got a dockstar to run squeezebox server out of a 3 partitions hard drive. It runs better than my 800€ win7 4gb dual core ! Crazy isn't it ?
Now i wonder ... The more i read on the web the more i get confused...

Is it better to boot from a usb flash stick rather than from a disk ?
Performance wise is it better ?
Or is it only for spinning down the drive When unused ?
If yes, is it possible that squeezebox server leaves its media lib untouched long enougth for the dtive to power down ?
How do you connect a flash drive to the mini-usb (/sda) connector ? Or should i use another usb port ? If yes, how does jeff's script find out what drive to format at install time then ?
Is it ok to have a swap on a flash drive ?

Thanks for all your good work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 05:52PM by Reniera.
Twi
Re: Hard or flash drive ?
November 03, 2010 09:11PM
> How do you connect a flash drive to the mini-usb (/sda) connector ?
USB A-Female to Mini USB 5-Pin Female Adapter but any port is fine since as of 10/3 Jeff's installer now sets up scanning all 4 ports for the boot drive.

> If yes, how does jeff's script find out what drive to format at install time then ?
I always do installs with a single drive connected, the target drive only.

> Is it ok to have a swap on a flash drive ?
Depends on who you ask it seems. Flash drives do have wear leveling & some die from other causes before their flash wear lifetime is up. Heres a thread on this question
Depending on what your dockstar is used for it may rarely touch swap. Personally If my dockstar uses swap a lot then I would avoid swap on a flash drive if possible.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 09:40PM by Twi.
Re: Hard or flash drive ?
November 04, 2010 07:13PM
I benchmarked my USB flash stick and my USB-2 harddrive. Flash is faster for random access, harddrive faster for sustained. So I'd say your OS will run faster on flash but use harddrive for storing large files.
I have a 2GB USB flash and a 500GB USB harddrive attached, boots off the USB stick (it would NOT boot off the harddrive) but by time the mounts are occuring, it will see the harddrive and I have mount points in my /etc/fstab for the USB harddrive.
Currently I have a small swap on the harddrive and then a swap on the flash, so if its swapping like crazy its getting the speed improvement of 2 storage mediums.
I left Jeff's /etc/fstab as-is for its use of /dev/sda2 and just put another swap on the /etc/rc.local
swapon -p1 /mnt/SG500G/swap
This places the harddrive higher priority as seen by
$ sudo swapon -s
Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority

/dev/sda2                               partition       361452  0       -1
/mnt/SG500G/swap                        file            327672  65644   1
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.