Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newb Alert! Determined to get Subsonic on Dockstar

Posted by alphawave7 
Newb Alert! Determined to get Subsonic on Dockstar
November 05, 2010 11:14PM
Howdy gang!
Am determined to fiddle with Linux once and for all, with the main purpose to get my 500G music collection up and serving using Subsonic on a Debian install on a 4G USB flash drive plugged into my freshly Uboot-ed Dockstar. Uboot seems to have gone off without a hitch, so I progress to the reboot with USB drive attached, fdisk, and ran into my first issue: fdisk 'command not found'. How should I proceed, knowing I have no other Linux machines around. TIA for helping with this issue, and helping me realise my ultimate goal! :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 11:45PM by alphawave7.
Re: Newb Alert! Determined to get Subsonic on Dockstar
November 06, 2010 09:39AM
alphawave7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> into my first issue: fdisk 'command not found'.
> How should I proceed, knowing I have no other
> Linux machines around. TIA for helping with this
> issue, and helping me realise my ultimate goal! :D

fdisk must be issued as root. Do su first and input your root password when it asks for it.

BTW, if you get subsonic working, be sure to let us know. I'm currently just using nfs to share music on my LAN.
November 06, 2010 04:56PM
Thanks for the reply, hanker! I have managed more progress through more research, and will write a guide at the end of this project.
What I learned from:
http://www.plugapps.com/index.php5?title=PlugApps:Pogoplug_Setboot
was
/sbin/fdisk /dev/sda
which suggested /sbin is where fdisk resides on the default Dockstar, and yep, there it was. So I managed to fdisk my 4G stick, made 1-512 Primary, 513 to 1125 Extended. The instructions here:
http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/
indicate setting Primary as 'active' but the directions at plugapps link above does not..and I was not afforded a prompt to do so during fdisk. This may have presented me with me next issue. After fdisking, then soft-rebooting, I still retained SSH access, so I installed Debian-squeeze per Doozan:

cd /tmp
wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh
chmod +x dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin
./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh

As directed, it took approx. 20 minutes to install, and prompted me to reboot. After doing so, I see the DockStar (DS) boot into the Debian, orange light blinking, then green light blinking (I assume networking enabled?), then the light goes out (consistent with an external-booted Linux?), and I no longer have SSH access. Doozan indicates it may be an IP issue, but I do not run a dhcp server, my wlan/lan is entirely manually assigned IP's. My router (dhcp disabled) shows all active clients, and the 'old' DS IP as active, but no SSH using that IP. That is where I'm stuck presently. Any help appreciated! :)

edit: putty either times out on test IP's, or simply crashes with 'Connection refused' when I use the 'active' IP addy formerly assoc. w/ DS.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 05:01PM by alphawave7.
November 06, 2010 05:59PM
alphawave7 Wrote:

> then the light
> goes out (consistent with an external-booted
> Linux?),

Yes.

> and I no longer have SSH access. Doozan
> indicates it may be an IP issue, but I do not run
> a dhcp server, my wlan/lan is entirely manually
> assigned IP's.

This may be a problem. The Dockstar needs to have an IP address. How did it get its original IP? It seems that if you don't have dhcp, you need ssh access to set its IP address, but if it doesn't have an IP address how can you ssh in to it?

> My router (dhcp disabled)

I can't really offer much help here. I have dhcp on my router. :\
November 06, 2010 07:50PM
I had the original lan cable from the router plugged into my netbook (running Subsonic)...much to my surprise, the manaully assigned IP 'stuck' to the DS when I plugged it in and it fully booted. It remained after many reboots, too..but no longer after installing (and booting) Debian. Removing the plugDebian, DS boots with original IP. Naturally, I'm confused...and the 'connection refused' suggests the IP addy is still live, but Debian doesn't have the port open?
November 07, 2010 05:01AM
Hello,

to give you some perspective - Subsonic is running great on my dockstar. It tends to be little slow, because it utilizes really a lot of memory, but playing my rather big music library has been a breeze so far. I tried both Jinzora and Ampache earlier, but both had problems either with aac or with aac lossless. Subsonic has also the best looking interface.
November 07, 2010 03:35PM
Anima79 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> to give you some perspective - Subsonic is running
> great on my dockstar. It tends to be little slow,
> because it utilizes really a lot of memory, but
> playing my rather big music library has been a
> breeze so far. I tried both Jinzora and Ampache
> earlier, but both had problems either with aac or
> with aac lossless. Subsonic has also the best
> looking interface.

That's VERY encouraging to hear! Perhaps you can help me write the guide to getting it working on the DS! :) Are you running ON the DS, or on a thumbdrive?
November 08, 2010 04:59AM
I have debian running on a thumbdrive. I can surely help you with writing a guide, although I am not much of a debian expert. To be honest, installing Subsonic on a running Dockstar is pretty easy, as its developer offers *.deb packages for download.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.