Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug Series 4 - USB 3.0 Port Stability

Posted by grayman4hire 
Pogoplug Series 4 - USB 3.0 Port Stability
August 03, 2015 06:09PM
I've noticed that the USB 3.0 port on my Pogoplug Series 4 running Debian isn't very stable. Has anyone else noticed an issue with the USB 3.0 ports on the PPv4 or other Kirkwood devices with a USB 3.0 port?

In OpenWRT it's definitely an issue, but I just recently noticed the issue when running Debian using either a USB Audio Card (DAC) and/or USB Wi-Fi Card.

Basically, it loses connection to the USB device. "lsusb" would just hang and never return.

I haven't done any extensive troubleshooting yet. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this issue.

Thanks

-grayman4hire
======================================
Pogoplug V2 and V3 Serial Connection
Tutorial - Pogoplug v4 (Series 4 and Mobile) with Linux (Debian or Arch)

OpenWRT on Pogoplug Mobile
Tutorial - Pogoplug E02/V4 with Arch Linux ARM
Hacking the Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic) with Debian

OpenWRT on Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic)
Re: Pogoplug Series 4 - USB 3.0 Port Stability
August 03, 2015 06:39PM
grayman4hire,

> anyone else noticed an issue with the USB 3.0
> ports on the PPv4 or other Kirkwood devices with a
> USB 3.0 port?

I do use the port frequently, but only with storage USB 3.0 (Sandisk Ultra Fit and Sandisk Extreme). Never notice any thing unstable either on Pogo V4 or NSA325v2. On the NSA325v2, it is used very heavily for a long stretch (do rsync with massive changes). On the Pogo V4, is used to transfer less number of files in/out.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
August 03, 2015 07:27PM
Thanks for the reply @bodhi.

I forgot to mention, I believe the issue is related to USB 2.0 devices plugged into the USB 3.0 port.

In OpenWRT, I was only able to use the USB 3.0 port with a USB 2.0 device after I plugged in a USB 3.0 (Sandisk Ultra Fit). However, even then it's not 100% stable. Without a USB 3.0 device plugged in, my USB 2.0 sound card was super unstable.

-grayman4hire
======================================
Pogoplug V2 and V3 Serial Connection
Tutorial - Pogoplug v4 (Series 4 and Mobile) with Linux (Debian or Arch)

OpenWRT on Pogoplug Mobile
Tutorial - Pogoplug E02/V4 with Arch Linux ARM
Hacking the Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic) with Debian

OpenWRT on Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic)
August 03, 2015 08:04PM
Ah! I see. Fwiw, in the past, I had problem plugging in USB 3.0 to the Pogo E02 USB 2.0 port. It would crash the system. It migh have been the old EHCI driver . I have not attempted to test it again, though.

In your case, it is the XHCI driver, so it is diferent problem. It might help googling tor XHCI problem, also for quirks related to this gadget.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.