Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SSH on new dockstar box

Posted by Jijo Jose 
Jijo Jose
SSH on new dockstar box
November 22, 2010 07:47PM
Hi All,

I got a new dockstar box and trying to install debian over.

At first i removed the net connection and switched on my dockstar first time,

I am trying to connect to debian via ssh but am not able to connect, i got the ip as 192.168.190.239 from nmap.
ssh(port 22) shows the error "destination port unreachable"

Do i need to register over pogoplug to enable ssh?

can anyone help.

regards
Jijo
Re: SSH on new dockstar box
November 22, 2010 10:34PM
Is your local LAN 192.168.190.XXX? What is the IP address of the machine you are trying to ssh from?

Here's what I did to initially crack my Dockstars: I took a laptop, connected it directly to the Dockstar with an X/O ethernet cable, switched off WiFi using the mechanical switch on the laptop, and booted both. Without access to a DHCP server, the Dockstar will by default come up with an address in the 169.254 range. The last two octets will be the decimal representation of the last two (hex) bytes of the Dockstar's MAC address (found on the bottom of the unit). If the last two bytes are "BE" and "EF", your Dockstar's IP address will be: (Run the following command in the Bash shell.)

printf "169.254.%d.%d\n" 0xbe 0xef
From there, it was trivial to use Putty to connect to the Dockstar and disable the hbmgr stuff.

Good luck with it.
Jijo Jose
Re: SSH on new dockstar box
November 22, 2010 11:17PM
Thanks for your reply,

Finally i could able to connect through DHCP (Wifi router) and the ip is 192.168.2.4, previously i have connected through ADSL router.

Since i don't have any linux box with me, i have connected through putty and disabled hbmgr.

Now i have connected my usb HD (free agent go), partitioned into 3(for root,swap and usr) and formated using mkfs.minix and mkfsswap.

I tried to mount my first partition but getting an error,
mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt and i tried with vfat,ext3,autofs all getting the error:

mount: Mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt failed: Invalid argument

fdisk will show /dev/sda1p1,/dev/sda1p2,/dev/sda1p3.

I need to take a backup to USB HD before installing squeeze into NAND.

Can anyone help on mounting issue?

Regards
Jijo
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.