Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No Network after Reboot

Posted by Moe 
Moe
No Network after Reboot
November 27, 2010 11:44AM
Hello!

I was running Debian Squueze on my Dockstar for a few months without rebooting, now i wanted to reboot the Box because of a new Kernel.
It seems to boot fine (Blinking stops, it reads some time from the harddisk, it even asks for an ip from dhcp) but i cant reach it via the network (not even ping).
Is there any way to recover the box without a serial/jtag cable?

Thanks, Moe
Re: No Network after Reboot
November 27, 2010 07:30PM
Is that kernel version 2.6.31-1?

Are you running squeeze from NAND or USB? For usb, you can try setting up a syscall emulation qemu environment on PC, instructions are in http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,2694,2695#msg-2695 and run mkimage to create working copies of uInitird and uImage assuming /boot of usb drive has copies of working kernel's System.map, initrd and vmlinuz. Alternatively apt-get install uboot-mkimage and mount the usb drive on your linux PC and run mkimage from there. A NAND install probably needs serial access to fix.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 07:41PM by jasonp.
November 29, 2010 12:21PM
This happened to me while I was setting up my DockStar but I correctly guessed the problem (although of course this may not be your problem).

Sometimes, particularly after installing a new kernel, Debian decides to reallocate the network device names so what was eth0 becomes eth1. Consequently your /etc/network/interfaces doesn't set up the network properly as you have no entry in there for eth1.

What I did was to remove the flash disk onto which I had installed squeeze, reinsert it, mount it somewhere (eg /mnt) and then delete /mnt//etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

This file is automatically recreated (although if you don't trust me, by all means back it up rather than just deleting it) on rebooting and the ethernet port goes back to eth0. Reboot and all was well.

I have no guarantee that this is your problem, but this worked for me.
Moe
November 29, 2010 06:38PM
Hello!

The problem was the same as described in http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1042,1111#msg-1111 and i was able to fix it with my PC with uboot-mkimage, as proposed by jasonp. I dont know why the box got an IP from DHCP without even booting into Debian, but nevermind.

Thanks a lot!
Moe
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.