Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recovery image

Posted by lotus49 
Recovery image
December 08, 2010 03:42PM
My experience of Debianising my DockStar has, thanks to Jeff's excellent script, been entirely trouble free, however a few people have had problems where their DockStar appears to boot from the NAND OK but they have damaged their installation on their USB and cannot ssh into the Pogoplug partition.

Is there any reason why someone (perhaps me if people are interested) cannot take a image of the default Debian installation so people can dd it onto a USB drive? It would save faffing around with JTAG/serial connections (which, as I know from past experience with a Buffalo LinkStation, is not for the faint of heart). All they would need to do is download the image, dd it onto a blank USB stick, plug it in and reboot.

Clearly this won't work if they have seriously buggered things up but if their DockStar is booting but they just cannot log into it, it would be much simpler.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? I can't think of one.
Re: Recovery image
December 08, 2010 05:06PM
There's no reason that you can't make something like that. In fact, Johannes did some work creating a USB bootable rescue system here: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,1871

-- Jeff
Peter Hope-Tindall
Re: Recovery image
December 09, 2010 10:21AM
Since I cannot get the Jeff debian install script to work any longer.

(I always get the same errors on multiple dockstars, multiple new USB keys) - see below).

I've taken to installing on new disks by simply copying a previous installation. (I saved the USB contents right after install (using cp -a to another drive) - so I have a 'master' - and just copy this to a USB whenever I want a 'new' install.

# Starting debootstrap installation
I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
W: http://cdn.debian.net/debian/dists/squeeze/main/binary-armel/Packages.gz was corrupt
I: Retrieving Packages
E: Couldn't download dists/squeeze/main/binary-armel/Packages
debootstrap failed.
See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information.
htstore3-rescue:/tmp# ./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh
htstore3-rescue:/tmp# cat /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log
Connecting to cdn.debian.net (128.226.116.176:80)
debootstrap.invalid_ 100% |*******************************| 89926 --:--:-- ETA
Connecting to cdn.debian.net (149.20.20.135:80)
debootstrap.invalid_ 100% |*******************************| 8272k 00:00:00 ETA
Connecting to cdn.debian.net (128.226.116.176:80)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.