Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Options for VGA out

Posted by BradonC 
BradonC
Options for VGA out
December 11, 2010 06:17AM
I know people have had success with using USB to VGA adapters, but I was wondering if you need to buy a certain model or brand to get it to work. I've saw one video were the guy was using a $75 one, but being a poor college student, I'm trying to cut costs. Does anyone have experience with off market ones such as this one? Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-VGA-adapter-USB-2-0-extra-display-monitor-/260686626133?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3cb2223d55#ht_5723wt_1139
Re: Options for VGA out
December 11, 2010 11:20AM
Your post reminded me that my old Targus Universal Dock ACP50US has a USB2VGA port. Several years back when I bought it I could not get it working with Linux and it was repurposed as a make-shift charging station for my cell phone and other gadgets. I just give it a quick try with my dockstar and after a little tweaking... it works!

Quick howto: Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen         0  "SISScreen" 0 0
EndSection
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "SISDevice"
    Driver      "sisusb"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "SISMonitor"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "SISScreen"
    Device      "SISDevice"
    Monitor     "SISMonitor"
EndSection
Install the required packages...
apt-get update
# not sure which of the following are necessary - these are what I installed to get my Displaylink screen working
apt-get install xinit xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-dev xfonts-base libusb-dev xorg-dev git-core build-essential
# required for sisusb software rendering
apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri
# minimal fluxbox set up - plus an xterm & a couple of browsers 
apt-get install fluxbox rxvt midori iceweasel
echo "exec fluxbox" > ~/.xinitrc
To start
startx
It only supports 1024x768 and its slow - especially when dragging windows around - but it is useable. You also get a USB ethernet adapter and USB C-Media audio adapter and a powered 4-port USB hub that look like they work (I haven't tested).

However, the slow video performance and poor resolution does not compare with modern Displaylink adapters. These would be a much better choice if you want a regular desktop.

-PG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 12:22PM by petergunn.
December 11, 2010 02:49PM
Peter

Do you recommend that adapter in this link, I was on amazon and looked at the reviews of it and tons of people gave it 1 star.

Not sure if I should pick one up but wasn't sure when you say the video is very slow, didn't know how bad it is. :)

Does it come with a power adapter or did you have to pick that up seperately?

I'm using evga 16plus that after rebate comes out to 30 dollars , and wasn't sure if I should get the taurus to put in another dockstar?

Come up wtih anything NEW for your mini lcd screen?

I was wondering if you could ADD a virtual keyboard to the package, because then I could use the mouse only and using the virtual keyboard to type stuff in.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 03:36PM by rgtaa.
BrandonC
December 11, 2010 05:43PM
No, I would only be using this as a media server and a few other applications that only require video for setting up. Thanks for the link, it seems almost perfect for my needs.
December 11, 2010 08:32PM
rgtaa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peter
>
> Do you recommend that adapter in this link, I was
> on amazon and looked at the reviews of it and tons
> of people gave it 1 star.

Depends what you want to use if for. Its okay for fluxbox + xterms but simple stuff like web browsing would become annoying quickly. It would be fine for occasional use or for updating a semi-static display.

> Does it come with a power adapter or did you have
> to pick that up seperately?

Mine came with a 3A 5v adapter - so plenty of power for the USB ports. This is why I was using it as a charging station for my gadgets.

> I'm using evga 16plus that after rebate comes out
> to 30 dollars , and wasn't sure if I should get
> the taurus to put in another dockstar?

IMHO all the Displaylink products are far superior than the previous generation of USB2VGA adapters. That said, unless you have a spare monitor for your second dockstar you may get more value out of the powered hub and audio adapter on the Targus. If you see one for ~$20 its probably a good deal - otherwise the EVGA is better.

> Come up wtih anything NEW for your mini lcd
> screen?

Lots of things I'd like to try but no time right now :-(

-PG
Expertsetup
April 23, 2011 04:27AM
Well this worked perfectly for me and now I am running X on my USB2VGA on the dockstar. I am only having one issue and that is, I cant seem to get the text console to work on it. I get the SiS USB Text Console text on top of the screen but cant seem to type anything.

I see that getty is running, I'm stuck, anyone have any ideas? Do I need to set a grub option like I do for my desktop ubuntu machine to get it to boot into text mode?
Expertsetup
April 23, 2011 05:08AM
ok so here what I get with lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
ipv6                  253766  16
sisusbvga              47055  1
font                    7090  1 sisusbvga
hmac                    2475  0
evdev                   6582  0
joydev                  8057  0
sha1_generic            1717  0
mv_cesa                 9262  0
aes_generic            32820  1 mv_cesa
ext2                   55323  1
mbcache                 4860  1 ext2
sd_mod                 31324  3
crc_t10dif              1106  1 sd_mod
usbhid                 35658  0
hid                    63178  1 usbhid
usb_storage            35171  2
scsi_mod              119260  2 sd_mod,usb_storage
ehci_hcd               36469  0
usbcore               122487  5 sisusbvga,usbhid,usb_storage,ehci_hcd
mvsdio                  5318  0
nls_base                5367  1 usbcore
mv643xx_eth            22562  0
mmc_core               50206  1 mvsdio
libphy                 14836  1 mv643xx_eth
inet_lro                5060  1 mv643xx_eth

thanks again for all the help and great information.
April 23, 2011 08:34AM
I'm not sure how to enable the text console. You probably need to add module(s) to /etc/modules and add a setting to /etc/modprobe.d/options. Some info here might be relevant.

Report back if you work out how to do it :-)

-PG
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.