Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DockStar... Beeping?

Posted by ayrlander 
DockStar... Beeping?
December 13, 2010 07:58PM
I just had something very odd start happening today, and I was curious if it's happened to anyone else. My DockStar has started chirping at me. It beeps twice, like a cell phone, a little more than once a minute (e.g. it beeps twice, then again 62 seconds later, then again 65 seconds later, then 60 seconds later...). First off, I didn't even know the thing had a speaker in it (I have no USB sound devices plugged in). Second, there's nothing in the logs or dmesg to indicate what might be going on, and neither my DockStar LED or hard drive activity light change when it happens. I haven't installed any new packages recently, just updates to squeeze.

I've never had this happen with a Debian system before, so I'm highly confused. If no one knows, I'll just reboot the thing and see what happens, but it'd be nice to know why it's doing it before I do so.
Re: DockStar... Beeping?
December 14, 2010 10:01AM
Sure it is not the power adapter? It is however common that electrical units beeps or whines. I think it happens when some components begin to vibrate.
December 14, 2010 10:06AM
I'm pretty sure it's coming from the body of the DockStar itself. I unplugged an X10 USB device I have plugged in, and moved my hard drive as far away as I could. The plug is pretty far down from the box itself. I'm not sure why my DockStar would start vibrating, though, and this was a pretty regular chirp. I'd record it if I could. My wife asked me if a cell phone was going off by the setup. Maybe I'll see if my real cell phone can do a recording.... :-)
Brandon
March 03, 2011 03:51PM
I know this is a really old topic, but I have started to have my Dockstar beep once and a while to. Its running Debian and its never done this before. But I have identified it as coming from the body of it, weird.
March 03, 2011 05:14PM
Mine beeped for a few days, and then stopped. It hasn't beeped since. I never did get an answer as to what could have been causing the beep, much less why it was beeping at all.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.