Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[SOLVED] iotop on pogo v3 oxnas

Posted by JeffS 
[SOLVED] iotop on pogo v3 oxnas
December 11, 2016 06:05PM
I installed iotop so I could compare some numbers between pogo's v3 with Debian and v4 with Arch.

Sorry about the Debian newb questions, lol. Unfortunately, it looks like on my pogo v3 with Linux 4.1.0, I may need to recompile the kernel with some additional options to get it working? Anyone ran into this and an have a simpler solution than a kernel recompile? Not sure how this stuff works with Debian.

[root@PogoV3oxnas ~]# iotop 
Could not run iotop as some of the requirements are not met:
- Linux >= 2.6.20 with
  - I/O accounting support (CONFIG_TASKSTATS, CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT, CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING)
[root@PogoV3oxnas ~]# uname -a
Linux PogoV3oxnas 4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1 #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 1 05:11:47 PDT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

I also need to get this figured out because..... I've been watching the pogo v3, mini pcie USB3 conversation. That led me to thinking about possibly trying this a mini pcie sata 6G card. If the processor becomes a bottle neck with USB to sata conversion, I thought this may possibly reduce it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2016 03:45PM by JeffS.
Re: iotop on pogo v3 oxnas
December 11, 2016 06:15PM
Let me take a look at this problem.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
December 11, 2016 06:23PM
Jeff,

The kernel 4.1 is indeed missing an option. I'm surprised that nobody has reported this before :))

I'm in the precess of releasing a new kernel for this Pogo V3 boxes within couple days. So stay tune and upgrade the kernel.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 11, 2016 06:24PM
Thanks bodhi
December 11, 2016 06:54PM
Hey bodhi,

I'm thinking about installing Debian on one of my x86 box's. Do you do any cross platform compiling? Which version of Debian would you suggest if I wanted to possibly give cc a try, and or just get more familiar with Debian in general?
December 12, 2016 12:04AM
JeffS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey bodhi,
>
> I'm thinking about installing Debian on one of my
> x86 box's. Do you do any cross platform compiling?
> Which version of Debian would you suggest if I
> wanted to possibly give cc a try, and or just get
> more familiar with Debian in general?

Usually you can find a mainline kernel for x86 box easily, no need to compile it. But if you do need to, it is easy to start cross compile if you are using distro such as Ubuntu or Mint, which have development package that you can install and not to have to worry about dependencies.

For me, I've cross-compiled at first for a while. But since a few years ago, after I had acquired a farm of pogoplugs, I've been distributed compiling kernels using distcc.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Re: [SOLVED] iotop on pogo v3 oxnas
December 13, 2016 04:05PM
Installed the latest 4.4.38 kernel and moved the install from the USB to hdd with rsync while I was at it. Most importantly iotop runs now.

Have both pogo's v3 and v4 mobile running from hdd's and ready for some network file transfer speed comparison testing. Will post the results soon.

On which Debian to run, I ended up testing both stable 8.6, and testing 9. I prefer testing as it's closer to what I'm used to and more compatible with Arch. I broke stable 8.6 session manager as soon as I tried to set up vbox guest additions to work with my later version of Arch vbox...

I learn something just about every time I play around with Linux! Never heard of distributed compiling before now, interesting indeed.
Re: [SOLVED] iotop on pogo v3 oxnas
December 13, 2016 05:01PM
JeffS,

> Installed the latest 4.4.38 kernel

Cool! I need more reporting about this kernel. Good or bad. As you read the description in the first post, ARM11 MPCore has a few inherent problems that people have been trying to work around.

> I learn something just about every time I play
> around with Linux! Never heard of distributed
> compiling before now, interesting indeed.

I like the philosophy of distributed compiling. The only limitation is the main box needs a little more RAM and CPU horse power to optimize the job. But I don't have the need for speed, so these plugs keep jugging along overnight and in the morning it's all done :).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2016 05:02PM by bodhi.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.