Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Want to downgrade Debian kernel?

Posted by funtoy1001 
Want to downgrade Debian kernel?
December 22, 2010 08:39AM
I installed Debian Squeeze using Jeff's script and updated with the kernel per instructions at http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,582 . Because dmesg does not see my USB printer, I want to see if this is related to the kernel. The question is how to go about downgrade the kernel back to the original one?
I have the following files under /boot:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1002844 Oct 20 14:39 System.map-2.6.32-5-kirkwood
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 84196 Oct 20 14:39 config-2.6.32-5-kirkwood
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4734828 Nov 1 11:08 initrd.img-2.6.32-5-kirkwood
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4734892 Nov 1 11:09 org.uInitrd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2676840 Oct 18 03:23 uImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1431968 Oct 20 14:38 vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood

Can I rename org.uInitrd back to uInitrd and reboot?
Re: Want to downgrade Debian kernel?
December 22, 2010 05:21PM
Don't know if this the right way. I did another Debian install with Jeff's script and copied all the files under /boot to my working USB stick. The stick booted up and dmesg sees my USB printer now. With p910nd, I am able to share the printer will all the machines on my network.

Still wonder why the upgraded kernel's dmesg doesn't see my printer and lsmod only lists 4 modules???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 05:58PM by funtoy1001.
December 22, 2010 06:27PM

Still wonder why the upgraded kernel's dmesg doesn't see my printer and lsmod only lists 4 modules???
I suspect this because the Debian default kernel comes with a lot of modules compiled in, whereas the new kernel does not. In other words, you are expected to modprobe what you need. Adding modules after the fact allows for a lot of flexibility, but some modules need to be built-in if they are needed very early in the boot sequence.
December 22, 2010 07:19PM
restamp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still wonder why the upgraded kernel's dmesg
> doesn't see my printer and lsmod only lists 4
> modules???
> I suspect this because the Debian default kernel
> comes with a lot of modules compiled in, whereas
> the new kernel does not. In other words, you are
> expected to modprobe what you need. Adding
> modules after the fact allows for a lot of
> flexibility, but some modules need to be built-in
> if they are needed very early in the boot
> sequence.
Where do I get these modules for modprobe?
I tried to do modprobe usb-uhci and modprobe usb-ohci and they both came back with module not found.

Would it work if I copy all the files from /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-kirkwood to /lib/modules/2.6.35.7-dockstar?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 09:44PM by funtoy1001.
December 22, 2010 09:44PM
The modules are normally located in /lib/modules under the directory associated with the running kernel ("uname -r"). In a word, I don't know where you'd get them if they are not provided. I think the options of what gets built with the kernel (and either included in it directly, or made available via modprobe) are specified in a configuration file which is populated prior to building the kernel. I've never built a kernel, but every kernel I've used has provided the loadable modules as part of the kernel package.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.