Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seagate Goflex Home turned into paperweight, please help.

Posted by paperweight 
Seagate Goflex Home turned into paperweight, please help.
January 09, 2017 06:03AM
Dear experts,

I have no knowledge of Linux, yet I bought a Seagate Goflex Home Freeagent years ago dreaming about turning it into a server for either downloading torrents or/and streaming for Squeezebox Touch. As you may notice, I can't even recall what exactly was my original goal. The only thing I remember now is I performed some flash, following an online tutorial, which clearly warned that once the native Goflex firmware is removed it cannot be restored and the worst scenario is that the Goflex turns into a regular external hard drive. I was occupied by something else and dropped the project after the irreversible first step without having ever tried the intended function of the device. Now I can't find the tutorial to continue the project, can't get the device to work the way it was supposed to, and can't even use it as an regular external drive.

I tried to flash the original firmware back onto the base following Seagate website guide - nothing happened, no surprise. The green light flashes all the time after I inserted the UBS recovery stick, powered the device on and held the reset pin. When I don't do anything to the device, the green light behaves the same way, always flickering.

I wonder if any of you have experience with Goflex Home and could kindly help me identify the problem(s). I don't expect any magic cure for my stupid action. I will be very happy if it can only be used as a regular hard drive. At least it won't be a completely waste of money and a permanent reminder of my insanity. Thank you very much for your time.

Jay

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 06:04AM by paperweight.
Re: Seagate Goflex Home turned into paperweight, please help.
January 09, 2017 08:50AM
You'll need to get access to the serial console. A quick web search shows the following site with directions for accessing the serial console https://judepereira.com/blog/hacking-your-goflex-home-2-uart-serial-console/. After gaining access using the directions on that page power on the GoFlex Home and post the resulting output here. The output will help use determine what your next steps for recovery will be.

Ray
January 09, 2017 01:50PM
Jay,

> The only
> thing I remember now is I performed some flash,
> following an online tutorial, which clearly warned
> that once the native Goflex firmware is removed it
> cannot be restored and the worst scenario is that
> the Goflex turns into a regular external hard
> drive.

What it must have meant: you can throw away the base and use the HDD as a external hard drive. You can buy an adapter to turn the GoFlex HDD that came with it into an external USB 3.0 hard drive.

> I tried to flash the original firmware back onto
> the base following Seagate website guide - nothing
> happened, no surprise. The green light flashes all
> the time after I inserted the UBS recovery stick,
> powered the device on and held the reset pin. When
> I don't do anything to the device, the green light
> behaves the same way, always flickering.

This will not be possible. Once its u-boot has been replaced in one of the steps in the tutorial you followed, the recovery will no longer work.

---

Normally, I can help people unbrick the GoFlex Home easily. This box is quite resilient that is very rare that it can not be brought back to life. However, you mentioned you don't know Linux, so it will be hard to do. If you have saved the log of what you did or the link to the tutorial you followed, then there is a very good chance it can be unbricked.

What about other technical know-hows. Are you a hardware person or software? willing to open the box and solder the serial header to the board? (the header is 4 pins with solder buttons). If I knew what you did previously, I might be able to help you even without the serial console. But without that info, the serial console conection is the only way.

As I mentioned, the HDD can be salvaged, you will just need an adapter. This adapter can be bought from eBay from $US 10-25 range. So you'd rather not spending too much time with hardware modification for the serial header, you can go to eBay and search for this adapter (post the link and I will verify if it is the right one).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 01:54PM by bodhi.
January 09, 2017 04:52PM
Thank you very much for the prompt replies, Ray and Bodhi!

Looking at the Ray's link, I was scared and decided to first try if I could find the wikipage and forum where I got the initial information from. And I found them.

Here are the bottom lines:
1) I lost the USB stick with the custom image for booting the Goflex Home
2) The laptop that had the downloaded image does not exist any more so I don't have any copy of it
3) The image is something called Squeezeplug 4.0, which was originally designed for Goflex Net so newer versions may not work on Goflex Home
4) The Squeezeplug (Squeezebox Server on Plug-computers) project was abandoned so even the new versions is off the internet.
5) I don't know Linux. My adventures with software and hardware are limited to flashing custom smartphone ROMs, underclocking notebook CPUs, installing ssds, etc. This is the first time I bricked something - because I stopped using the device so long ago and lost the USB stick. Reading the posts I had 5 years ago, apparently I installed something like "putty" on my Windows system and successfully installed and communicated with the Squeezeplug.
6) This is Thomas's wiki page I followed. It says no knowledge about Linux was needed - it is true but not when one messes things up after :).
7) This is the thread I got help from another gentleman who install the Squeezeplug 4.0 on Goflex Home.
8) I think the Squeezeplug project by Thomas has evolved into something called Max2play for Raspberry Pi. There is an image for Squeezebox on his new website. But I don't think it will work on Goflex Home. I posted a message on the Max2play forum, looking for the Squeezeplug 4.0 image.
9) The bad news is neither Thomas nor Oscar is still active online.

If the device is unbricked, what can I do with it? I started to think about the device because my PC hard drive developed some bad sectors yesterday. I ran the CHKDSK /r and /f and it is back to normal now. I am backing up my system on another external hard drive now (for the first time in my life)! I guess I can't use the Goflex as automatic backup method even it is unbricked since the original firmware was gone?
January 09, 2017 05:16PM
Jay,

Without reading the links, these information you posted is enough for me to write instruction for you to try.

Now the next thing that you need is access to a Linux desktop. You can install Ubuntu on a USB drive that will boots with your Mac or Windows. Or you can download and run Linux Live on USB thumb drive too.

Once you have that ready, I will post instruction.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 09, 2017 10:19PM
Thanks, Bodhi. I created a USB bootable thumb drive with Linux Mint 17.3 for a netbook. It works fine. I was surprised my wireless mouse and keyboard started to work right away. I didn't even see driver installation. Please give further instructions.

P.S. Maybe because Linux is running on usb, it is not faster than Windows 7 on SSD. Images don't seem as good on the external monitor. I can also hear the fan, which I hardly did on Windows under which the CPU was underclocked (AMD C-50, 1Ghz, 4G RAM).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 10:39PM by paperweight.
January 10, 2017 03:14AM
Great!

Everything you about to do is after you become root, using Linux Mint Terminal.

On Linux Mint to become root, you would open Terminal, and at the command line, type
su
and enter the password (when you create the default user during Mint installation, it is an administrator user).

Instruction:

Summary: Create the Debian rootfs on an empty USB drive and use this rootfs to boot the GoFlex Home. The instruction comes from my kernel/rootfs release thread: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096. Since you installed Squeezebox, there is a good chance that this rootfs should boot OK.

Updated 20 Feb 2016:

This Debian-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 is to keep in sync with kernel Linux-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1.

Basic minimal Debian Kirkwood rootfs for most Kirwood plugs:

- tarball size: 137M
- install size: 398M
- a basic jessie rootfs.
- The init system used in this rootfs is sysvinit . To boot with systemd, see note 2 below.
- Installed packages: nano, avahi, ntp, busybox-syslogd (log to RAM), htop, isc-dhcp-client, dialog, bzip2, nfs server/client, iperf, ethtool, sysvinit-core, sysvinit, and sysvinit-utils.
- see LED controls in /etc/rc.local, and /etc/init.d/halt
- see some useful aliases in /root/.profile
- root password: root

Download at Dropbox:

Debian-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2
md5:
9f957e1dc5a36f90a285ab4615cb02fd
sha256:
d33349118e34bd078ca635cd2d6776f3e312accfc77d29da5870b9980add5c36

And remember to check the hash of what you download, as always.

Installation:

Installation can be done on any Linux box, with a fresh USB drive (SD card or HDD would work fine too).

Note: all steps below must be done while logging in as root user (not sudo). If you are not the root user then don't continue, because the rootfs will not work.

1. Format a new USB drive with a single Ext3 partition, and label it rootfs.

2. Mount the drive on a Linux box. cd to top level directory and extract it. It is assuming the USB drive is mounted at /media/sdb1
cd /media/sdb1
tar -xjf Debian-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2

3. Adjust fstab. Skip this step if you have installed the latest U-Boot for Kirkwood (or are installing this u-boot at the same time).

Edit /media/sdb1/etc/fstab entry for /dev/root to match the rootfstype of your usb_rootfstype. However, you can keep it as is without problem in booting since the u-boot env bootargs takes precedent.
/dev/root / ext3 noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

4. Create uImage with embedded DTB for booting with older u-boots (2012 or earlier). Skip this step if you have installed the latest U-Boot for Kirkwood (or are installing this u-boot at the same time).

Please replace kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb below with the correct DTB name for your box (see the folder /media/sdb1/boot/dts).

Generate the uImage with DTB embedded inside:
cd /media/sdb1/boot
cp -a zImage-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1 zImage.fdt
cat dts/kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb >> zImage.fdt
mv uImage uImage.orig
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1 -d zImage.fdt uImage
sync

Note: if your Linux box does not have mkimage, then install it

apt-get install u-boot-tools

5. Done. Take this USB rootfs to your plug and cold start. After booted into Debian, see Note1 and Note2 below. It is very important that you do Note1 steps to secure your box.

The instruction above is for a person with a basic knowledge of Linux command line. So it might be a little bit overwhelming for beginner. But you can ignore all the explanation, just figure out what you need to do at each of 5 steps. Read it over and I'll expand each step where you are not sure how. Take it slow and you'll learn some Linux commands along the way.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 03:16AM by bodhi.
January 10, 2017 12:19PM
Thanks. I will need to read something on Linux command lines first before figuring out what to ask.
January 10, 2017 03:12PM
paperweight,

> Thanks. I will need to read something on Linux
> command lines first before figuring out what to
> ask.

That's how we get it done! In the mean time let me list the step without extra stuff and only specific to your box with Squeezeplug installation.

================

Instruction:

Summary: Create the Debian rootfs on an empty USB drive and use this rootfs to boot the GoFlex Home. The instruction comes from my kernel/rootfs release thread: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096.

Everything you about to do is after you become root using su command.

1. Format a new USB drive with a single Ext3 partition, and label it rootfs. Assuming the disk is assigned the sdb drive letter.

- Use fdisk to wipe out current parttion(s) and create new partition (take the default answer to all questions about size, part number,...).

fdisk /dev/sdb

- Use mkfs.ext3 to format and label it at the same time

mkfs.ext3 -L rootfs /dev/sdb1

2. Mount the drive and extract rootfs.

mkdir /media/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
cd /media/sdb1 

3. Skip this, it is unecessary.

4. Create uImage with embedded DTB for booting with older u-boots (2012 or earlier).

cd /media/sdb1/boot 
cp -a zImage-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1 zImage.fdt 
cat dts/kirkwood-goflexhome.dtb >> zImage.fdt 
mv uImage uImage.orig 
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1 -d zImage.fdt uImage 
sync

Note: if your Linux box does not have mkimage, then install it

apt-get install u-boot-tools

5. Done. Take this USB rootfs to your plug and cold start.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 03:17PM by bodhi.
January 10, 2017 03:35PM
Thanks, Bodhi.
1) Do you think it is safer for me to install Linux on the ssd along with Windows first? If not,as there will be at least two USB sticks (plus others on the monitor hub), can the OS assume the new Uboot usb as sdb1?
2) How can I tell the Goflex Home is successfully booted? A steady green LED? Or there is other command with wthich I can see from the netbook that it is running (if the Goflex is connected to the router via a cable)?
Jay
January 10, 2017 10:34PM
paperweight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, Bodhi.
> 1) Do you think it is safer for me to install
> Linux on the ssd along with Windows first?

No need to.

> If
> not,as there will be at least two USB sticks (plus
> others on the monitor hub), can the OS assume the
> new Uboot usb as sdb1?

On Linux Mint, open Terminal first. And then plug in the 2nd USB stick (one you are about to create the Debian 4.4 rootfs on). And then execute this command on terminal

dmesg | tail

The kernel log in dmesg will tell which drive letter it was assigned to. And furthermore, you will not be able to accidentally format the main Linux Mint USB (it is protected, so you will see the error).

> 2) How can I tell the Goflex Home is successfully
> booted? A steady green LED?

The GFHome will flash green rapidly upon power up, and then turns solid green. Wait about 10 seconds and look for it by either:

1. ping it to see if it reponds:
ping debian.local

2. Look for a new dynamic IP assigned by the router (log in the router admin page).

3. Use a Wifi network scanning app such as Linux nmap, IOS Fing, Windows network, Mac OSX finder.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 11, 2017 09:20AM
Hi, Bodhi,

The hard drive in my desktop started to make loud noise last night. I think it is going to fail soon. I have been looking for a new HDD as replacement and maybe also an SSD. Since I will probably order something from Amazon, which happens to sell a SATA to USB3.0 adapter, if it is the right type, I can order them together for free shipping. It is CAN$13.99, 15+7 pins(5Gb). Could you confirm it is the right one? Another one is 20$ 6Gb/s. Not sure if there is a real difference in speed. I counted the pins on the Goflex Home, 15+7

https://www.amazon.ca/ELEGIANT-22Pin-Adapter-Cable-Super/dp/B00TH1B250/ref=pd_sim_147_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EX3Z39N7E5G8AQC6WY3S

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-3-0-Inch-UASP-SATA-Converter-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EX3Z39N7E5G8AQC6WY3S

Thanks,
Jay

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 10:09AM by paperweight.
January 11, 2017 04:53PM
Jay,

They are both OK. However, the SATA port on top can use any bare 2.5" HDD. For SDD that you want to use as a bare SATA rootfs on top, watch for the incompatibility (there are certain SDD that don't work with the u-boot you have installed).

The USB 3.0 adapter should work, but that is another whole subject. We don't know yet if you can unbrick this box.

The bottom line is to see if the rootfs on USB will work, to make things simple. And after you sucessfully run the new rootfs on USB, then worry about the next step.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 11, 2017 05:54PM
I thought the adapter would be the last resource for a bricked goflex? To use it (basically a 3.5 HDD without the base) as a regular hard drive if I can't Uboot it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 05:58PM by paperweight.
January 11, 2017 06:08PM
paperweight Wrote:
> I thought the adapter would be the last resource
> for a bricked goflex? To use it (basically a 3.5
> HDD without the base) as a regular hard drive if I
> can't Uboot it?

Yes, it would be the last resource if you can't boot Debian. But you won't need it if you can unbrick.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 11, 2017 06:43PM
Right. I ordered it because I don't think I can avoid buying new hard drives for the desktop. Better to bundle the purchases together, just in case. Bestbuy doesn't have in their stores SATA cables I will need. Plus I may need it for transferring files as wireless transferring is probably much slower.

I am going to do the unbricking now. Everything is ready for the desktop's hard drive's final break down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 06:45PM by paperweight.
January 11, 2017 06:51PM
I typed in
su
as command line

I was asked for passwords. I don't recall I have ever set any passwords. I am running Mint on a USB.

What should I enter?

Edited:

Or it was asking me to set up a temporary password for the session?

Edited:

After minimal google search, I guess I got a corrupted MINT iso, as some people say there should be password requirement otherwise. Any thought? Another distro or maybe download the newest version of MINT?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 07:02PM by paperweight.
January 11, 2017 07:48PM
paperweight Wrote:
> I typed in
> su
> as command line
>
> I was asked for passwords. I don't recall I have
> ever set any passwords. I am running Mint on a
> USB.
>
> What should I enter?
>
> Edited:
>
> Or it was asking me to set up a temporary password
> for the session?
>
> Edited:
>
> After minimal google search, I guess I got a
> corrupted MINT iso, as some people say there
> should be password requirement otherwise. Any
> thought? Another distro or maybe download the
> newest version of MINT?

Usually you would create the password during Mint installation. Did you install it or are you still running the original Mint USB ?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 11, 2017 07:51PM
I was using the original USB. I didn't install it on the internal ssd. I just made another USB stick with another release, Mint 18, a moment ago. I was asked for password again after being booted with it. No, I didn't install it on the internal drive this time either. No password was set.

This new Mint 18 came from linuxmint.com. I don't think it was corrupted.

Edited:
Is it possible to get root without installing the OS on the internal drive? I am asking because I created a Ubuntu 16.04.1 bootable stick, the same thing happened. Password was needed. The only reason I can think of is one can't get to the root while only "trying" the OS. But I remember you mentioned installation was not needed.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 08:43PM by paperweight.
January 11, 2017 10:18PM
Jay,

> Is it possible to get root without installing the
> OS on the internal drive? I am asking because I
> created a Ubuntu 16.04.1 bootable stick, the same
> thing happened. Password was needed. The only
> reason I can think of is one can't get to the root
> while only "trying" the OS. But I remember you
> mentioned installation was not needed.

I don't think I've said that!

What you should do is installing Mint 17 or 18 to another USB drive, and then boot Mint from that drive. This makes thing much simpler. During the installation, the user that you enter nick name, full name,... is the admin.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 12, 2017 12:39AM
> Thanks, Bodhi.
> 1) Do you think it is safer for me to install
> Linux on the ssd along with Windows first?

No need to.

Guess I misunderstood you. No need to install it on the internal drive but need to install it on another USB drive?
I thought the USB with the Mint image is the bootable Linux drive (or a live USB) that I need. That is also what online tutorials called "installing Linux on a USB drive". In fact, the official Mint installation guide only provides instruction on installation on hard drives after making the image usb drive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 12:58AM by paperweight.
January 12, 2017 02:52AM
Okay. This is what I did. There seems no way to make the new table recognizable other than a reboot. Partprobe does not work even after I unmounted and remounted sbd.

~ $ su
Password: 
My username # fdisk /dev/sdb

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.27.1).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): m

Help:

DOS (MBR)
   a   toggle a bootable flag
   b   edit nested BSD disklabel
   c   toggle the dos compatibility flag

Generic
   d   delete a partition
   F   list free unpartitioned space
   l   list known partition types
   n   add a new partition
   p   print the partition table
   t   change a partition type
   v   verify the partition table
   i   print information about a partition

Misc
   m   print this menu
   u   change display/entry units
   x   extra functionality (experts only)

Script
   I   load disk layout from sfdisk script file
   O   dump disk layout to sfdisk script file

Save & Exit
   w   write table to disk and exit
   q   quit without saving changes

Create a new label
   g   create a new empty GPT partition table
   G   create a new empty SGI (IRIX) partition table
   o   create a new empty DOS partition table
   s   create a new empty Sun partition table

Command (m for help): d
Selected partition 1
Partition 1 has been deleted.

Command (m for help): n
Partition type
   p   primary (0 primary, 0 extended, 4 free)
   e   extended (container for logical partitions)
Select (default p): p
Partition number (1-4, default 1): 1
First sector (2048-124735487, default 2048): 2048             
Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G,T,P} (2048-124735487, default 124735487): 124735487

Created a new partition 1 of type 'Linux' and of size 59.5 GiB.

Command (m for help): q

My username # fdisk /dev/sdc

Help:

DOS (MBR)

Generic
   d   delete a partition
   n   add a new partition

Misc
   m   print this menu

Script

Save & Exit

Create a new label

Command (m for help): i
Partition number (1,2,5,6, default 6): f
Value out of range.
Partition number (1,2,5,6, default 6): q
Value out of range.
Partition number (1,2,5,6, default 6): 1

Device: /dev/sdc1
           Boot: *
          Start: 64
            End: 28388047
        Sectors: 28387984
      Cylinders: 1768
           Size: 13.5G
             Id: c
           Type: W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    Start-C/H/S: 0/2/1
      End-C/H/S: 1023/63/254
          Attrs: 80

Command (m for help): q

My username # fdisk /dev/sde

fdisk: cannot open /dev/sde: No such file or directory
My username # fdisk /dev/sdd

Selected partition 1
         Device: /dev/sdd1
          Start: 63
            End: 31711231
        Sectors: 31711169
      Cylinders: 1974
           Size: 15.1G
    Start-C/H/S: 0/1/1

Selected partition 1

Selected partition 1

Help:

DOS (MBR)

Generic
   d   delete a partition
   n   add a new partition

Misc
   m   print this menu

Script

Save & Exit

Create a new label

Command (m for help): d
Selected partition 1
Partition 1 has been deleted.

Partition type
   p   primary (0 primary, 0 extended, 4 free)
   e   extended (container for logical partitions)
First sector (2048-31711231, default 2048): 2048
Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G,T,P} (2048-31711231, default 31711231): 31711231

Created a new partition 1 of type 'Linux' and of size 15.1 GiB.

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered.
Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Re-reading the partition table failed.: Device or resource busy

The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at the next reboot or after you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8).

My username # mkfs.ext3 -L rootfs /dev/sdd1
mke2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
/dev/sdd1 contains a vfat file system
Proceed anyway? (y,n) n

My username # partprobe(8)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `8'
My username # partprobe(sdd)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `sdd'
My username # partprobe(sdd1)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `sdd1'
My username # umount /dev/sdd
umount: /dev/sdd: not mounted
My username # mount /dev/sdd
mount: can't find /dev/sdd in /etc/fstab
My username # fdisk dev/sdd

fdisk: cannot open dev/sdd: No such file or directory
My username #

---
Mod edit: please code tags

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 03:09AM by bodhi.
January 12, 2017 03:16AM
Jay,

The commands to be executed inside fdisk are:

o: remove all partitions

n: create new partition

a: make partition active

w: write all changes to disk and exit.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 12, 2017 03:41AM
Thanks, I only removed partition 1, and didn't do the "make active"

Now, after reboot, I can't find this stick in terminal. sdd was no longer assigned to it any more. I looked at all devs's info. and couldn't find it. But I think it was formated in ext3 because windows keeps asking to reformat it.

In Linux, its properties are listed as:

Name: ADATA USB flash drive
Type: Unknown (application/octet-stream)
Size: unknown
Volume: unknown
Accessed: Unknown
Modified: Unknown

Since I can't find it in fdisk so I can't re-format it and (m, help) option was gone in fdisk:

~ $ su
Password:
My username # mkfs.ext3 -L rootfs /dev/sdd1
mke2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
/dev/sdd1 contains a vfat file system labelled 'Lexar'
Proceed anyway? (y,n) n

My username # fdisk dev/sdc

fdisk: cannot open dev/sdc: No such file or directory
My username # fdisk dev/sdb

fdisk: cannot open dev/sdb: No such file or directory
My username # i
The program 'i' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
apt install iprint
My username # m
m: command not found
My username # fdisk dev/sde

fdisk: cannot open dev/sde: No such file or directory
My username # fdisk dev/sdb1

fdisk: cannot open dev/sdb1: No such file or directory
My username # fdisk dev/sdb1

fdisk: cannot open dev/sdb1: No such file or directory
My username # fdisk dev/sdd

fdisk: cannot open dev/sdd: No such file or directory
My username # fdisk dev/sde1

fdisk: cannot open dev/sde1: No such file or directory
My username #
January 12, 2017 03:48AM
> In fact, the
> official Mint installation guide only provides
> instruction on installation on hard drives after
> making the image usb drive.

You can install Linux Mint on any disk. So after you booted with the Mint installation USB, plug in another USB drive, it will appear on the dekstop. And then you can double-click the Linux Mint Installation icon to start. Mint will ask which disk you want to install to. Choose the new USB drive.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 12, 2017 09:04AM
Thank you, Bodhi, I figured that out.

The two reports I posted are records of my operation in terminal after Mint was installed on a 32G USB3.0 Luxar stick - the netbook was booted with Linux installed along side with Windows, not via the initial USB stick with Linux image.

Please advise how I could re-format the ADATA 16G USB drive for creating Goflex Uboot. As I mentioned in the last post, I can't find it in terminal after initial fdisk formatting but Linux listed it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 09:18AM by paperweight.
January 12, 2017 07:15PM
I think I found a solution. Format the USB stick in Windows then put it back under Linux so it can be recognized and start all over again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 07:22PM by paperweight.
January 12, 2017 10:00PM
tar (child): Debian-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Hi, Bodhi,
Where should I put the downloaded file? Right now it is in the downloads folder but above error occurred.
I tried to move the file to the newly-formatted sdc1 (assigned number) but access denied.
The cd command put me in the directory of sdc1 (the uboot usb) but the downloaded 4.4.0 can't be moved to the same directory.
Jay

I tried another route but also failed.
1) Formatted the USB in windows and downloaded the 4.4.0 to the USB,
2) Formatted in Linux using fdisk, thinking after the formatting I could extract the 4.4.0 which was already there (if not erased by formatting) but got the following error:

Selected partition 1
Device: /dev/sdc1
Start: 2048
Sectors: 31709184
Cylinders: 15484
Start-C/H/S: 1/1/0
End-C/H/S: 123/32/63

Command (m for help): o
Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x2a175177.

Partition type
p primary (0 primary, 0 extended, 4 free)
e extended (container for logical partitions)
Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G,T,P} (2048-31711231, default 31711231): 31711231

Command (m for help): a
Selected partition 1
The bootable flag on partition 1 is enabled now.

The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at the next reboot or after you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8).

My username # a
a: command not found
My username # fdisk dev/sdc

fdisk: cannot open dev/sdc: No such file or directory
My username #

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 11:41PM by paperweight.
January 13, 2017 04:48AM
Boot with Linux Mint USB.

On Linux Mint, open Terminal. Become root. And then plug in the 2nd USB stick (one you are about to create the Debian 4.4 rootfs on). And then execute this command at Terminal prompt:
dmesg | tail
The kernel log in dmesg will tell which drive letter it was assigned to.

----

So suppose the new USB drive is /dev/sdx (x could be a,b,c,d,e,f ....)

umount /dev/sdx
fdisk /dev/sdx

> o
> n
> a
> w

Now you have 1 partition on /dev/sdx, and it is /dev/sdx1

mkfs.ext3 -L rootfs /dev/sdx1

mkdir /media/sdx1
mount /dev/sdx1 /media/sdx1
cd /media/sdx1

Copy the tarbal to the current folder. Extract the tarball and do the rest of the commands.

tar -xjf .......

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 13, 2017 09:46AM
Hi Bodhi,

Thank you for the sequence of actions you specified. I performed the exact commands on an empty USB stick in the exact sequence you wrote.

Please have a quick look of what happened this time and address these two specific questions/problems: 1) the umount command didn't work, what should I do? 2) the new table was not used. do I need to reboot for the new table to be used? I am following your instruction word by word but the terminal didn't behave the way we expected every time.

My username # dmesg | tail
[ 239.146956] scsi host3: usb-storage 1-3.3:1.0
[ 240.147737] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access ADATA USB Flash Drive 0.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 240.149227] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
[ 240.153965] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] 31711232 512-byte logical blocks: (16.2 GB/15.1 GiB)
[ 240.154688] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Write Protect is off
[ 240.154703] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
[ 240.155432] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Asking for cache data failed
[ 240.155448] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 240.162368] sdd: sdd1
[ 240.174554] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI removable disk
My username # umount /dev/sdd
umount: /dev/sdd: not mounted
My username # fdisk /dev/sdd

Command (m for help): o
Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x78ef3ce9.

Partition type
p primary (0 primary, 0 extended, 4 free)
e extended (container for logical partitions)

Command (m for help): a
Selected partition 1
The bootable flag on partition 1 is enabled now.

After reboot:

my username # dmesg | tail
[ 20.308877] cfg80211: (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 2300 mBm), (0 s)
[ 20.308884] cfg80211: (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm), (N/A)
[ 20.308889] cfg80211: (57240000 KHz - 59400000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 2800 mBm), (N/A)
[ 20.308895] cfg80211: (59400000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 4400 mBm), (N/A)
[ 20.308901] cfg80211: (63720000 KHz - 65880000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 2800 mBm), (N/A)
[ 20.518582] brcmsmac bcma0:1: wl0: brcms_c_d11hdrs_mac80211: txop exceeded phylen 159/256 dur 1778/1504
[ 20.525378] brcmsmac bcma0:1: wl0: brcms_c_d11hdrs_mac80211: txop exceeded phylen 137/256 dur 1602/1504
[ 20.890403] brcmsmac bcma0:1: brcms_ops_bss_info_changed: arp filtering: 1 addresses (implement)
[ 72.359140] FAT-fs (sdd1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 1)
[ 72.359157] FAT-fs (sdd1): Filesystem has been set read-only

BTW, a CHKDSK /f X: in windows shows no damage in the USB stick. Yet it became read-only in Linux.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 01:20PM by paperweight.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.