Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Latest Dockstars Deals, Post your findings here! (Updated 01 Jan 11)

Posted by rat 
Re: Latest Dockstars Deals, Post your findings here! (Updated 01 Jan 11)
May 12, 2012 05:50PM
@davy,

How did you gain root access? I tried to use the Web interface to register the GF Home to get a username to log in, but kept getting error about username is invalid.

Thanks
bodhi
May 12, 2012 08:11PM
Bohdi, I can't remember all the details for sure, but I know that one point was that the software/OS in the GoFlex Net was _not_ pogoplug, but rather a similar thing from Seagate... I got frustrated w/ it before I realized that a pogoplug CE ID was not going to work (it had different # of digits and symbols, IIRC).

Maybe the serial number was the default password? ???

Can't remember for sure...

--------------------

OK, I remember seeing something like this: http://forums.seagate.com/t5/GoFlex-Net-GoFlex-Home/Goflex-Home-MKV-support/td-p/75365 (read down the page... it mentions the form of a username)

but that isn't the link I used, IIRC... will search a bit more...

ahhhahh... I think I referred to this: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/seagate-goflex-home

=====================================================

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2012 08:26PM by davygravy.
May 12, 2012 09:15PM
davygravy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> ahhhahh... I think I referred to this:
> http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/seagate-go
> flex-home

Thanks davy! that's the instruction I'm following, too. I can't just get past the part about creating a user :-) I connected to the web interface and it brought up a wizard page, and the username I entered always got returned with a dot (.) concatenate at the end, and Seagate website responds with the error about the name is invalid! (of course because there is a dot at the end). For example, my username is "bodhigfh", and it gave me "bodhigfh." I'm going to try again today to see if it's just a temporary glitch.
May 12, 2012 09:38PM
Whatever you do, get netconsole turned on ASAP. Also a kernel that has the correct timing for the NAND chips is important so you can access env via fw_set/printenv.

Good luck

May 21, 2012 11:46PM
@davy,

I've reflashed my GoFlex Home with stock FW and fixed the problem with web interface. Successfully logged in and gained root access. I want to set up netconsole, but could not find nc in the stock OS. Did you have to download it? I would like to set up netconsole before flashing the new UBoot.

@davy or anybody,
where to download nc? I lost the post (I believe by Jeff) about where to get nc.

TIA,
bodhi
May 22, 2012 06:49AM
hi bodhi, nc resides and runs on the laptop/desktop computer you are running - it is usually included in any Linux (e.g. Ubuntu, Slackware, Arch Linux) installation. What distro are you using? If you are using Windows, I'm sure there is a port of it for Windows as well.

May 22, 2012 11:52PM
Hi davy,

Yes I did have netconsole setup before for the dockstar and pogoplug pink E02. I forgot that the GF Home stock FW does not support that, and I thought we need to install nc on the GoFlex Home to allow its UBoot to work. But never mind :-) I will just proceed and set it up after immediately.

Thanks,
bodhi
June 02, 2012 01:22PM
Pogoplug $26 plus shipping at J&R. http://www.jr.com/pogoplug/pe/PGG_POGOP21/
June 02, 2012 01:45PM
or $30 with free shipping at Buy.com http://www.buy.com/prod/pogoplug-personal-cloud-media-sharing-solution-black/221688297.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2012 01:45PM by laprjns.
June 23, 2012 09:57AM
If anyone is interested I need to sell my Dockstar. It has serial port installed and has Davy's new Uboot. So it will boot newer kernels. It currently is using linux-3.3 kernel from Sheeva-with-Linux. It has Debian Sid running in the flash with nginx and php5. The drive cradle has been modified (cut down the plastic) so that it does not need Seagate drive casing. Many USB drive casings will fit.

The old listing is here: Dockstar

The guy that bought it didn't know how to use it. So he sent it back.

If anybody is interested in it I will relist it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2012 03:11PM by gnexus.
June 23, 2012 10:20AM
The listing you posted is a GoFlex Net.
June 23, 2012 03:10PM
Oh, crap!

How did that happen? That one is not for sale. I thought about selling a GoFlex after I sold the Dockstar. I hit the listing button by accident, and then had to cancel the listing. So that link was also in my email. I was fighting with my email when I posted the link because it kept closing as my disk was full. I must have got that link by mistake since it is also eBay and Seagate.
Thanks!
Corrected now. . .

edit:
If anybody here wants it I will sell it to them for £32. That is what I paid for it. But I would like to keep the serial cable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2012 03:30PM by gnexus.
June 24, 2012 11:41PM
I have several new Pogoplug E02 for sell in Australia. Any one interested can contact me.
They are the black E02 packed in the P21 packaging.
rat
June 25, 2012 12:33AM
Posting this here in case anyone might be interested:

SheevaPlug Plug Computer v2.0 (Has an issue) - $30 shipped

http://ergh.org/yardsale/sheevaplug.jpg

A gray figure 8 power cord and USB cable is provided with the unit I am selling. Hardware revision 2.0 (not v1.3) of the now classic SheevaPlug.

512MB DDR2 Ram, 1.2Ghz Marvell (Kirkwood) CPU, 512MB Nand, SD/MMC Slot, JTAG USB Plug, USB2.0 Port, Ethernet, built in 120/240v worldwide power supply, motherboard has solder mounts for eSATA and a second USB port. Mod at your own risk.

Now for the issue: Ethernet is busted. I cannot tell if the issue is physical or has more to do with the logic/controller. Reflowing the solder around the ethernet pins did nothing to change the issue. Otherwise, everything works great. Was able to install Debian onto SD Card and all other hardware works fine. Ethernet is recognized by Debian, drivers were installed... it just does not ever get DHCP, blindly sends packets and generally acts all retarded. ifconfig shows activity, but the router never shows a DHCP lease. (The only response I got from system was: [ 46.059321] eth0: link up, 10 Mb/s, half duplex, flow control disabled )

An easy fix would be to get a Linux compatible USB Ethernet dongle. uBoot has been modified to boot from SD by default (but will fall back to USB) and the rest of the Nand was wiped, so no Ubuntu install on this plug. You can can easily reflash to stock uBoot config via USB JTAG.

There is no warranty on this Sheevaplug (GlobalScale only did a 30 day warranty anyway and by the time this one was discovered to be defective... too late).

Email me at twelfth at gmail dot com if interested.
June 29, 2012 07:01PM
Not a dockstar, but I have seen the raspberry pi on the ArchLinux Arm site. Here it is for $35 + $8 shipping. Not sure if it is a good deal or not, but definately the cheapest I have seen it.

Raspberry Pi
June 30, 2012 05:42AM
I think we all know about the pi by now. . . :P

The pi is ARMv5tel like Kirkwood. If we are buying something new why should we get ARMv5tel instead of much faster ARMv7? Might as well just get a used Dockstar then (I will sell you mine w/serial port - any offer considered at this point).

Is it even possible to buy a Raspberry Pi yet? I've heard of very few success stories in that regard. . .

Also, the pi is made by Broadcom :( That alone is enough to make me cringe. Broadcom has really screwed Linux users over the years. . .

Why not get an Allwinner A10 device instead?

I can ensure you that you will probably be happier in the long term. It is much faster, there are already something like 60 million devices using itin China and other places around the world. How many 'pi's are out there? A few thousand at best by now. . . maybe a few more than that if they have managed to ramp up production.

Ubuntu for the A10 is already working great! I'm fixing to post a full Debian Sid armhf SD image for the A10 in the coming days.
October 08, 2012 06:04AM
In case your still interested in getting a kirkwood base device, this Pogo P21 (E02) is available at J&R for $19.99 before shipping. This sale end today (Monday, October 8th.
http://www.jr.com/pogoplug/pe/PGG_POGOP21/?JRSource=chemail.WeekendSale.1072012
October 08, 2012 03:32PM
@laprjns,

Did you buy from JR and got an E02 before? I knew you got Kirkwood E02 before with this UPC # 850877002245 from different store. But in some stock it's really an Oxnas. I hate to buy more and end up getting another Oxnas :-)

Thanks,
bodhi
October 10, 2012 04:20AM
Now that you mention it, no I bought my two from Buy.com, which is currently selling the P21 for $24.50 with free shipping.
http://www.buy.com/prod/pogoplug-personal-cloud-media-sharing-solution-black/221688297.html

When you add shipping to the J&R price, Buy.com is actually cheaper (at least for me).

J&R 19.99 + 4.83 = $24.82

Buy,com $24.50

IIRC that's why I bought from Buy.com.

ps: don't know it this is still true, but to quote myself

laprjns
Beware that it comes with a free six month subscription to some type of cloud storage service which renews automatically and charges the card that you used to purchase the Pogo. I used a virtual card card number that expires in a month. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 04:48AM by laprjns.
October 12, 2012 03:46PM
Thank laprjns,

For me it's the other way around! J&R Friends membership (free) gives me free shipping. So it's only 19.99. But I'm afraid I will get another Oxnas instead of Kirwood E02. I'm after the 256M RAM E02.

If anybody bought from J&R please let us know if it's a Kirwood or Oxnas.

Thanks!
October 13, 2012 06:47AM
If you go through the reviews for the Pogo P21 on the J&R site, there are a couple of reviews (dated September 9th, 2012) that say that they received E02s. In fact one of them mentions it as a "Con" saying that the model doesn't match the box

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 06:49AM by laprjns.
October 13, 2012 04:58PM
Thanks laprjns!
August 2012 Outlet PC selling Pogo POGO-P21 HDD Adapter with the "right" SKU for the kirkwood is
the OXNAS board. uname -a said PogoBASIC Arm6

(I made it inaccessible it with my first change after ssh... but a bootable image on an SATA drive should get it back...)

TJ
November 14, 2012 08:55AM
I got the 19.99 pogoplug from J&R. Like others advertised as the P21 model both in add and on box. Sticker on unit stated it was a v2 and dmesg confirmed that. Installed arch in it as a V2 no problem. As I have 2 dockstars I was a bit bummed I didn't get a chance to play with the dual core V3 model. I don't believe it is J&Rs fault and it seems like to much of a hassle to complain on a $20 box.
Pogoplug-p21 UPC code 850877002245 is not sufficient to identify a kirkwood marvel board.

A recent purchase from OutletPC.com with this UPC was an OXNAS board. It works, but has less memory and requires different software. As of this writing, I have not found a uboot that controls it. For details: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/pogoplug-provideov3
eas
November 25, 2012 02:05PM
It isn't as cheap as the pogoplugs, but the ZyXEL 320 is often on sale. Right now Buy.com has it for $82:
http://www.buy.com/prod/zyxel-nsa320-high-performance-2-bay-network-attached-storage-and-media/q/loc/101/220639546.html

Advantages over the Pogoplug route:
  • 512MB RAM
  • Dual SATA2
  • Two 3.5" drive bays.

Downsides are that to my knowledge, there isn't a simple Debian install for it, though there probably could be, given what the ALARM folks have done. There is an easy way to open a telnet backdoor to the stock firmware, and it supports running a script from USB storage at boot.
bought 4 of the $12.99 specials from Buy.com over Thanksgiving.
they were listed as Pogoplug Multimedia Sharing Device - Classic, Pink - POGO-B01

the individual boxes were labeled Pogo - B01 but when i opened the boxes up, the sticker on the bottom of the device said Pogo - E02.

wonder what corner of the warehouse these have been hiding out in!

i'll check later tonight to see if they actually have the single processor and 256MB of RAM.
yep, all 4 of the devices turned out to be mislabeled on the outside of the box as B01 devices but contained an E02 device with a single Marvell processor and 256 MB RAM.
i'm happy because i've got enough B01s and P21s that have the dual core OXNAS chip in them.
they're fun because of the SATA port inside, but i'm happy to have some more devices with the extra 128M RAM.
Maplin in the UK are offering the 1TB GoFlex Home for £79.99 for the next two weeks, which is as cheap as Amazon.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/1tb-seagate-home-network-storage--smart-phone-access-476989
January 25, 2013 09:53AM
Pogoplug Mobile is on sale on amazon.com (sold by JR) for 15.99$

http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-Backup-and-Sharing-Device/dp/B005GM1Q1O/

Thinking about getting a couple, but it looks underpowered...
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.