Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem after upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie

Posted by davidnewton 
Problem after upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie
June 07, 2017 10:22PM
I am using Debian Wheezy on Pogo E2 and Dockstar. Recently I tried to upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie following instructions I found online. The upgrade is successful without error or warning message. After finishing dist-upgrade, everything seems to work fine until I reboot it. After I reboot, I could not ssh into it anymore. I tried to use other port instead of 22, I also tried to create user account instead of root, but always get the same error saying the port is not available. I can ping it, so it can connect to network. It seems that the openssh may not start after reboot. I checked this flash drive on other machine, it looks everything is fine. The /etc/ssh/sshd_config file, /etc/init.d/ssh file look very normal. I can ssh into it after dis-upgrade but before reboot. I am wondering if anyone has the similar experience and if there is any solution for this problem. Thanks a lot.
Re: Problem after upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie
June 08, 2017 12:11AM
davidnewton,

From your question, I guess you don't have serial console connected. That would make it easier to troubleshoot this problem.

> I am using Debian Wheezy on Pogo E2 and Dockstar.
> Recently I tried to upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie

The default behvior in jessie is not permitting root login password.

> The /etc/ssh/sshd_config file, /etc/init.d/ssh
> file look very normal.

Perhaps you should post or pastebin your sshd_config.

Which rootfs are you using? have you tried to boot with Debian-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 rootfs?

Updated 20 Feb 2016: 

This Debian-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 is to keep in sync with kernel Linux-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1. 

Basic minimal Debian Kirkwood rootfs for most Kirwood plugs: 

- tarball size: 137M 
- install size: 398M 
- a basic jessie rootfs. 
- The init system used in this rootfs is sysvinit . To boot with systemd, see note 2 below. 
- Installed packages: nano, avahi, ntp, busybox-syslogd (log to RAM), htop, isc-dhcp-client, dialog, bzip2, nfs server/client, iperf, ethtool, sysvinit-core, sysvinit, and sysvinit-utils. 
- see LED controls in /etc/rc.local, and /etc/init.d/halt 
- see some useful aliases in /root/.profile 
- root password: root

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Problem after upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie
June 14, 2017 02:24PM
I am running into probmehs when not using the default sshd config while updating Debian Jessie to Stretch.
There were some unsupported options.
It doesn't matter allowing root to login or not.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.