Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Install Debian on Toshiba Canvio Home NAS

Posted by R0B3r7 
Re: Install Debian on Toshiba Canvio Home NAS
September 07, 2017 11:55PM
Hi wzaldivar,

I have backups of the factory firmware which may be be a simpler solution but you will need access to the hard drive and use Linux to clone the partitions .

The case is held together with internal plastic clips. It is not made to take apart so just need prying around the center line of the case until it separates. Here is a picture of one apart, it does not show much but you can see where it separates.
Opened Canvio

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 12:10AM by R0B3r7.
September 12, 2017 04:39PM
Hi Robert

Thank you!!!

I think is better the risk of some broken plastic clips than an entire (and expensive) 2TB HDD not usable at all :)

I think I have enough experience with Linux OS to use dd and setup the original image. And yes working original image will be a great help and starting point (I will keep it for safety). I apreciate and accept this help. So, yes please give me that image :)

Much more than the Toshiba support response:
Dear Customer,
My apologies Toshiba does not have driver or firmware for down.

that I response with:
The only words that you don't tell was "We hope the NAS wasn't too expensive".

Anyway, still thinking in install a custom OS. The smb server failure just after shut off/on was a really bad signal.

Regards
September 14, 2017 03:34AM
hi wzaldivar,

Here is the backup of the factory install for the Canvio NAS.
Toshiba Canvio Backup and Files

The firmware version is: 0011.3060
Linux version is: 2.6.31.8
Login is: admin/admin

I suggest you backup your current drive or test with another drive before overwriting anything.

Once you have access to your hard drive maybe you can try to fix your install first by deleting the rogue files that are taking up all the space?

I have tested this image with a blank 80GB drive and it cloned and booted up ok. There is no share volume set so it can also fit on smaller size hard drives. Once it boots up first time login to the web interface and do a factory reset to enable the rest of the storage.
Advanced - Configuration Backup/Restore - Restore Default Configuration

You can clone the drive with dd in Linux. This line will extract the archive and copy to disk at the same time.
tar xzOf Downloads/canvio_2.6.31.8.img.tar.gz | dd of=/dev/sdx
Just make you are know where the img file is downloaded to and you are sure which drive is the destination to write.

The online share also includes a few other files I had collected before the Toshiba websites went down for this model.
The 'public' folder zip contains the Toshiba files the were in the Installation folder of the Canvio share. You can copy back to the public folder once it has setup but probably not needed, it just has some introduction videos and the Windows software.

Robert
September 17, 2017 11:25PM
Thanks Robert!!!

Now only need to expect the arrival of the USB/SATA adapter to try it. No desktop, only notebook on years :)
September 19, 2017 08:23AM
Hi Robert

The image works OK!!! Looking at the mails to Toshiba, I see my device was with an older firmware, version 0011.3040

Now, with an accessible device; still thinking in go with Debian. Do I need a serial connector to go with the Debian installation? or is posible to do it over ssh?

My experience installing Linux are PC only, or putting an image on a microSD card for a Raspberry Pi :) No experience with embedded devices at all.

As I said before, the broken samba server was just after shut off/on from the contol panel; and the entire lack of support from Toshiba, mades me think in a better alternative for a system that in my vision, I have no so much control over it.

Regards
from j.
November 11, 2017 10:48PM
How to TOSHIBA NAS Recovery

・uImage
・rootfs_shrink.cramfs.canvio.preroot

2files in fat16-USB memory stick
( NO-HDD / not connect HDD )

telnet - 192.168.1.2
LOGIN:root / atsahs
・fw_printenv
・fw_setenv initial_state 'force'

POWER-OFF

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POWER-ON / (connect HDD) (ROUTER DHCP-SERVER-ON)

・uImage (2.57Mbyte)
・rootfs_shrink.cramfs.canvio.preroot (2.59Mbyte)
・rootfs_full.tar.gz (100Mbyte)
(tar -zcvf rootfs_full.tar.gz all-directory)

3files in fat16-USB memory stick

DHCP server assigned IP addresses.

web browser access IP addresses.
admin / admin
initial setup wizard
November 20, 2017 04:32PM
I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. I tried this backup on a 2TB drive, but am running into the following problems and hope you can help
  1. Can't create Volumes
  2. Seems to only work on drives up to 80 GB
Will this work on a 2TB drive?
November 20, 2017 06:29PM
hi,

the backup originally came from a 2TB drive. Check the instructions, once image is cloned need to login and reset.

"Once it boots up first time login to the web interface and do a factory reset to enable the rest of the storage.
Advanced - Configuration Backup/Restore - Restore Default Configuration"
birdfeedr
February 10, 2020 07:36AM
Works on a 320GB drive. Many tries. Like you,

Can't create volume.

After copying image, start GParted, which will inform you there's a problem in the GPT. Fix.
Then create a partition in the largest unallocated space.

Then install in the Canvio Home, boot, and restore to defaults.
birdfeedr
February 10, 2020 07:26PM
To be specific, the Canvio image results in partitions reported by GParted:
1 unallocated 31.41 MiB
2 dev/sdb1 2.00 GiB using 60.95 MiB flagged raid
3 dev/sdb2 4.00 GiB flagged raid
4 dev/sdb3 512.00 MiB flagged raid
5 dev/sdb4 64.00 KiB flagged raid
6 unallocated, remainder of drivespace

In Ubuntu, GParted reports gpt partition backup is not valid. Click OK.
Then GParted reports unallocated space. Click Fix
Then select the unallocated remainder and create a new partition using default values.

Install the drive into Canvio enclosure, boot, login and restore default configuration. The partition you created gets restored properly with the default Volume with Public and Download shares. The Public share contains the folders for media sharing.

I searched everywhere for this drive image to restore Canvio Home after a failed hard drive. Thank you R0B3r7.

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread.
Donde puedo conseguir esos archivos que indicas
・ uImage (2.57Mbyte)
・ rootfs_shrink.cramfs.canvio.preroot (2.59Mbyte)
・ rootfs_full.tar.gz (100 Mbyte)
(tar -zcvf rootfs_full.tar.gz directorio completo)

Google translated:
Where can I get those files that you indicate
・ UImage (2.57Mbyte)
・ Rootfs_shrink.cramfs.canvio.preroot (2.59Mbyte)
・ Rootfs_full.tar.gz (100 Mbyte)
(tar -zcvf rootfs_full.tar.gz full directory)

=====
Moderator: please translate to Engish before posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 07:04PM by bodhi.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.