Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NAS326 problem booting

Posted by nastynas 
NAS326 problem booting
August 09, 2017 10:11PM
Hi Bodhi,

I'm back trying to get this to work on my NAS326. (Got busy for awhile!)

I didn't restore back to permanent OS, so my Zyxel firmware is still resetting to default on startup. I don't mind that for now because I'm determined to run OpenMediaVault on my device.

I keep trying your instructions to "Mount the drive on a Linux box. cd to top level directory and extract the rootfs. Assuming the USB drive is mounted at /media/sdb1" Mine is actually at /mount/ubuntu/rootfs1 But there is no "boot" folder so I can't "cp -a zImage-4.9.0-mvebu-tld-12 zImage". I tried to make that folder and then perform the cp, but it didn't work.

I also cant nano "/mount/ubuntu/rootfs1/etc/fstab"

Did I completely miss a step somewhere?

I also tried dd an image to my USB drive according to instructions here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/files/Other%20armhf%20images/

My Ubuntu box can see the contents of that dd image on the USB drive, but the NAS326 will not boot off of it. In fact, everytime I try to boot off the USB drive, it will look like it's starting up, then it will seize with all lights on, restart, then come back up with Zyxel firmware.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 11:40PM by bodhi.
Re: NAS326 problem booting
August 09, 2017 11:50PM
nastynas,

> I keep trying your instructions to "Mount the driv
> e on a Linux box. cd to top level directory and ex
> tract the rootfs. Assuming the USB drive is mounte
> d at /media/sdb1" Mine is actually at /mount/ubun
> tu/rootfs1 But there is no "boot" folder so I can
> 't "cp -a zImage-4.9.0-mvebu-tld-12 zImage". I tr
> ied to make that folder and then perform the cp, b
> ut it didn't work.

If the drive is mounted at /mount/ubuntu/rootfs1

Then
cd /mount/ubuntu/rootfs1
tar -xjf Debian-4.9.0-mvebu-tld-12-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2
The above asume that you know how to adjust the path to Debian-4.9.0-mvebu-tld-12-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 to the location that you have downloaded this tarball.

And then
cd /mount/ubuntu/rootfs1/boot
cp -a zImage-4.9.0-mvebu-tld-12 zImage

... so on.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
September 03, 2017 10:26PM
Took another break, but now I'm back at it.

In firmware 5.11 I can boot off the USB and SSH into Debian. Firmware 5.21 breaks this. What's more, even after unchecking "check for updates automatically", 5.21 comes back on rebooting from 5.11. I have to setenv back to stock permanently, then run the setenv again in B.4 to get it back to 5.11 for another try at booting into Debian.

After successfully booting into Debian, I then prepared a USB stick with Clearfog base (for openmediavault support).

But that one won't boot. Is it because it's ext4?

Thank you,
NN
September 03, 2017 11:00PM
nastynas,

> After successfully booting into Debian, I then pre
> pared a USB stick with Clearfog base (for openmedi
> avault support).
>
> But that one won't boot. Is it because it's ext4?

No, not Ext4 reason. You should continue to use Debian-4.9.0-mvebu-tld-12-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 or the latest Debian-4.12.4-mvebu-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2. And then install OpenMediaVault on it.

Clearfog is a different rootfs so it will not boot correctly with NAS326. And also I can't support it when you have problem to solve.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 02, 2017 01:30AM
Sorry.. I've been trying to follow your instructions and made another attempt on Debian on NAS326.

EDIT: I fixed my issue. Everything's fine. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2017 01:46AM by nastynas.
November 02, 2017 02:51AM
nastynas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry.. I've been trying to follow your
> instructions and made another attempt on Debian on
> NAS326.
>
> EDIT: I fixed my issue. Everything's fine. :)

Cool!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.