Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Working webcams with new kernel

Posted by RomanG 
Working webcams with new kernel
February 04, 2011 07:37PM
Hi all,

I just upgraded kernel to gorgone's 2.6.35-7-dockstar to get my USB-WiFi working, since the 2.6.32-5-kirkwood did not have driver for my RTL8188SU based WiFi adapter.
WiFi works fine now, but as a side effect, I lost my webcam that I was using with motion as a surveillance camera. When I plug the webcam in, it crashes the kernel.

I would like to hear from others who are running gorgone's 2.6.35-7-dockstar kernel and using USB webcams to see if they experience similar problems and whether this is hardware specific.
My webcam is quite old, but it was working fine with 2.6.32-5-kirkwood kernel.

So if someone out there has working webcam on dockstar with new kernel, please let me know what webcam you are using.

Thanks,
Roman
Twi
Re: Working webcams with new kernel
February 05, 2011 04:04AM
Running gorgone's 2.6.35.7-dockstar on two dockstars with two UVC cameras, one with an old wifi adapter.
Both cameras are identical, planning to try a Logitech c600 since logitech lists it capable of higher resolution. Communicate Deluxe gives 960x720. These webcam reviews can be helpful particularly if you need low light pictures.
ID 046d:0992 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate Deluxe
ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501USB Wireless Adapter

I see in gorgone's kernel thread that your camera worked with zc3xx and gspca drivers. I don't have any non-UVC cameras to test, sorry I can't be of help for your camera.

Only using mjpeg-streamer at the moment. Haven't tried motion with gorgone's 2.6.35.7-dockstar. Are you getting around 90% CPU usage with motion?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 04:27AM by Twi.
February 06, 2011 07:58PM
Twi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>.....
>.....
> I see in gorgone's kernel thread that your camera
> worked with zc3xx and gspca drivers. I don't have
> any non-UVC cameras to test, sorry I can't be of
> help for your camera.
>
> Only using mjpeg-streamer at the moment. Haven't
> tried motion with gorgone's 2.6.35.7-dockstar. Are
> you getting around 90% CPU usage with motion?
>.....
>.....

Well, I can't check the CPU usage now, but before, with 2.6.32-5 it was only around 30%-40% if I recall correctly.

Roman
February 16, 2011 03:42AM
I tried Logitech Quickcam Messenger camera (non-UVC, with ST6422 chip), with same results, kernel crashes as soon as camera is plugged in.
I wonder if gorgone would be willing to look in to this issue?

Roman
February 19, 2011 08:45PM
I solved the problem by installing version v1 of the new kernel as described in this post.

Dockstar now present itself like this:
root@NEPTUNE:~# uname -a
Linux NEPTUNE 2.6.37-dockstar #6 Mon Jan 17 01:55:44 CET 2011 armv5tel GNU/Linux

Both cameras now work fine.

Roman
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.