Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FTDI Based USB IR Blaster on Dockstar.

Posted by DaveD 
FTDI Based USB IR Blaster on Dockstar.
March 04, 2011 02:12PM
I've been working on a video recorder project on my Dockstar and have run into a snag that I thought maybe someone else had already solved, so I'm posting about it.

I've mutated my Dockstar into a PVR by hooking it up to a Hauppauge HD-PVR and 500GB FreeAgent Go drive while running Freevo (built in webserver app), Samba, Minidlna, and the part that is throwing me fits, which is Lirc. Lirc is supposed to be providing me the channel change through a FTDI Based USB IR Blaster which I bought from here http://www.irblaster.info/usb_blaster.html but I'm having some issue's with.

Mainly, the IR Blaster does "blast" or at least does something, I can watch it flicker on my cellphones camera. The problem is that I can't get it to record my remotes or find a configuration that causes it to actually do any channel changing on my cable STB or my TV. Which again isn't as definitive as it might be since neither has a configuration that I could find that would be a solid match for the model's I have.

My alternative was to install the IR Blaster on my PC and create my own configuration, but sadly I am using a version of Mint that (v7) has that module built into the kernel so I can't properly force it to find the Blaster so I'm stuck either upgrading a triple boot PC or attempting to troubleshoot from the Dockstar alone.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Dave
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.