Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about upgrade Linux Kernel 4.4.89 Oxnas Debian version

Posted by epk 
epk
Question about upgrade Linux Kernel 4.4.89 Oxnas Debian version
November 25, 2017 05:33PM
I've got a (hopefully) easy question. I originally had set up my Plug Pro using your rootfs (3.17) and a u-boot I don't remember the version of. I have now upgraded my kernel to 4.4.89, and the u-boot to the latest version. However, I'm still running wheezy.

Kernel:
$ uname -a
Linux plug2 4.4.89-oxnas-tld-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 4 22:22:09 PDT 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux

Wheezy
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 7.11 (wheezy)
Release:	7.11
Codename:	wheezy

If I want to upgrade to Stretch, what's the best approach? I found one thread warning against dist-upgrade, and another saying it's ok (which I think is the newer of the two, but I don't want to blow it). Do I need to go to Jessie first, then Stretch?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 06:16PM by bodhi.
Re: Question about upgrade Linux Kernel 4.4.89 Oxnas Debian version
November 25, 2017 06:18PM
You can find the answer here:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,35581

- Backup your rootfs.
- Do dist-upgrade to stretch as described in the instruction above.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
epk
November 25, 2017 06:32PM
I saw that, but was nervous since it referred to the Kirkwood version, and I wasn't sure if it was the same for Oxnas. Thanks!
November 25, 2017 06:34PM
However, be aware that Item f is different for OXNAS

f. Usually a distribution upgrade like this would result in a new initramfs. So regenerate the uInitrd boot file. See section 4 in my kernel/rootfs installation for how to recreate uInitrd. It should look like this example: 

cd /boot
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs-4.11.3-kirkwood-tld-2 -d initrd.img-4.11.3-kirkwood-tld-2 uInitrd

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 25, 2017 06:36PM
OXNAS command to generate uInitrd looks like this:

cd /boot
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x60000000 -e 0x60000000 -n initramfs-4.4.54-oxnas-tld-1 -d initrd.img-4.4.54-oxnas-tld-1 uInitrd

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
epk
November 25, 2017 09:58PM
I went back to step 4 in the (oxnas) rootfs thread just to make sure I did everything right. I followed all the steps, edited my fstab, generated the uInitrd, rebooted, u-boot, looks fine, it starts the kernel, and then that's about it. It never shows back up on the network. Not sure where I went wrong.
November 25, 2017 10:13PM
epk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went back to step 4 in the (oxnas) rootfs thread
> just to make sure I did everything right. I
> followed all the steps, edited my fstab, generated
> the uInitrd, rebooted, u-boot, looks fine, it
> starts the kernel, and then that's about it. It
> never shows back up on the network. Not sure where
> I went wrong.

The upgrade process from wheezy to stretch is a massive one! If you cannot find it in the network, mount the rootfs on another box and look at the SSH config files. If you keep the log of the upgrade, likely you will find that.

To help troubleshoot this problem, you can create a brand new stretch rootfs on using Debian-4.4.54-oxnas-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044

and boot with it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.