Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Squeeze not installing - corrupt .debs?

Posted by jfp550 
Squeeze not installing - corrupt .debs?
March 26, 2011 11:02AM
Lenny installs for me without issue on the same 1GB Kingston USB stick. I want to install squeeze. I'm following the dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh directions. Debootrap thinks every .deb it fetches is corrupt. What am I doing wrong?

I: Checking component main on http://cdn.debian.net/debian...
I: Retrieving libacl1
I: Validating libacl1
W: http://cdn.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/acl/libacl1_2.2.49-4_armel.deb was corrupt
W: Couldn't download package libacl1
tmm
Re: Squeeze not installing - corrupt .debs?
March 26, 2011 11:14AM
Same issue here :-(
March 26, 2011 12:49PM
Use a different mirror then consider selecting a better one for installing subsequent packages.

-PG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 12:50PM by petergunn.
March 26, 2011 03:13PM
petergunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Use a different mirror then consider selecting a
> better one for installing subsequent packages.
>
> -PG

I also get the same problem (packages were corrupt). I tried your way to change the debian mirror, but it gives the same error. My first dockstar (original firmware, not upgraded by pogoplug) installed debian with Jeff's script smoothly. But this one doesn't work. I am wondering if this is related to the new firmware (it is upgraded by my.pogoplug.com since I signed up their service. The current firmware is 2.5.6).
max
March 26, 2011 04:51PM
after days of messing about i have finally figured it out....

1) install lenny using the old install instructions onto a usb once install is completed boot to lenny using root root
2) insert another usb into the pogoplug, this will be /dev/stb
3) get the squeeze install script download it and edit it so it says

ROOT_DEV=/dev/sda1 # Don't change this, uboot expects to boot from here
SWAP_DEV=/dev/sda2

to

ROOT_DEV=/dev/sdb1 # Don't change this, uboot expects to boot from here
SWAP_DEV=/dev/sdb2

then upload the script to some webserver

and follow the instructions on the squeeze page but when it says fdisk usb into two partitions you obviously must fdisk /dev/stb

now you will se that it works 100%

upon reboot remove the first usb so it will boot of the 2nd 1 that has squeeze on it
Val532
March 26, 2011 05:47PM
For the moment i have instaled debian lenny and now i made up to debian squeeze but when i got an other usb device i do this.
March 26, 2011 06:52PM
I have the same problem and your solution doesn't work :-(

Currently I've installed Lenny and upgraded it to Squeeze. I'll test it tomorrow again with another USB storage media.

Regards,
Christian
March 26, 2011 07:03PM
It looks like I'm not alone with my problems. I have a funny feeling the root problem is something wrong in the software that shipped on my Dockstar.

I tried http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian before I posted. "Punk" doesn't work for me, either.
It's looks like I've got a couple more things to try: find a mirror that "works" or install squeeze from lenny.

max - what do you mean by "then upload the script to some webserver "? Also you mention "stb" a couple of times. Do you really mean "sdb"?

FWIW, this Dockstar came from Woot! a long time ago and just now got around to messing with it.

uname -a
Linux Pogoplug 2.6.22.18 #57 Mon Aug 31 16:31:01 PDT 2009 armv5tejl unknown

I: Checking component main on http://punk.uchicago.edu/debian...
W: http://punk.uchicago.edu/debian/pool/main/a/acl/libacl1_2.2.49-4_armel.deb was corrupt
max
March 26, 2011 08:23PM
yes i meant sdb

the procedure is

1) follow this guide http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/install_lenny.htm
2) boot into debian lenny and ssh into it on port 22 user root pass root
3) download this file http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh onto your pc and edit it with notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/) or another editor that is linux friendly
the changes that need to be made on the script (dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh) are :-

ROOT_DEV=/dev/sda1 # Don't change this, uboot expects to boot from here
SWAP_DEV=/dev/sda2

to

ROOT_DEV=/dev/sdb1 # Don't change this, uboot expects to boot from here
SWAP_DEV=/dev/sdb2

save the script and ssh it onto the pogoplug in to /tmp
chmod +x dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin

now put in another usb into the pogoplug
then

fdisk /dev/sdb <-------------YES THIS IS SDB as SDA is mounted already an you have booted Debian lenny from it
# Configure partion 1 as Linux (I'd recommend making this at least 512Mb. The default bare-bones installation uses 280Mb.)
# Configure partion 2 as Linux Swap (I used 256MB. Adjust according to your anticipated memory usage.)
# Set partition 1 active

then

./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh

and now you will get no validation errors, once it has completed reboot and remove the first usb stick that you installed Lenny on, so the 2nd usb stick that you just installed squeeze on will become /dev/sda and squeeze will boot

enjoy
March 26, 2011 10:03PM
This mirror works for me: http://mirrors.xenir.com

If you update Jeff's script to use that mirror, you should be fine. I've had the same problems. And am working on just creating a TAR file with a completely installed Debian Squeeze release.
March 26, 2011 10:15PM
Thanks max!

It's loading squeeze .debs now without complaint. One snag: The lenny install didn't come with 'ar'. Installing the 'binutils' package fixed that.
March 27, 2011 12:57PM
I tried to reinstall Squeese by upgrading from Lenny from scratch. It actually works quite well. The steps are as follows:
1. Install Lenny using Jeff's "old" scripts. It took only about 10 minutes.
2. Edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file. Replace the existing text with the following two lines:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
3. Do
apt-get update
apt-get list-upgrade
and accept all of the default setting. These two steps will take about 1.5 hours. There will be some locale errors but I don't think that should be a problem. However, if you get some errors like "unknown keys", you can fix the problem by doing:
apt-get install debian-archive-keyring
before doing list upgrade.
After list-upgrade, you should get a updated Squeeze installation. Of course you should update your root password as should be.
I installed Asterisk 1.8 using the .deb file that I generated before on top of this newly installed Debian-Squeeze without any problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 12:57PM by twinclouds.
MattiP
March 31, 2011 12:25PM
After a bit of digging it seems like the problem is really that the Debian release files don't use MD5SUM any longer http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/02/msg00008.html that Jeff's script uses to make sure the files are Ok. So the packages are probably fine, it's the md5 files that is corrupted (or missing really).

For now, install Lenny through Jeff's Lenny install script and upgrade to squeeze.
kakarot
April 01, 2011 01:22AM
MattiP, I have a dockstar where Jeff's script installs without any issue, and another one where i get the corrupt deb messages.
thi
April 01, 2011 08:40AM
I also have two Dockstars, one works fine and the other is giving the deb corrupt messages. When I take the working flash drive from the working Dockstar the other one seems to at least start to boot from it, but it doesn't grab a dhcp address and I therefore can't talk to it to find out just how far into the process the boot got.
MattiP
April 01, 2011 12:36PM
That's really weird. Please share the mirrors that are still working if you happen to remember which one you used.
kakarot
April 01, 2011 03:10PM
I'm using the Jeff's script so the mirror is http://cdn.debian.net/debian
April 01, 2011 10:52PM
kakarot Wrote:
> I'm using the Jeff's script so the mirror is
> http://cdn.debian.net/debian

do you just enter this after the wget script?
sushi
April 02, 2011 03:58AM
thi Wrote:
> When I
> take the working flash drive from the working
> Dockstar the other one seems to at least start to
> boot from it, but it doesn't grab a dhcp address
> and I therefore can't talk to it to find out just
> how far into the process the boot got.

on the second dockstar the network port gets the name eth1 which is not configured in /etc/network/interfaces
you can add the configuration for eth1 and it should work.
dhkaufman
April 03, 2011 05:11PM
I have also had this problem, with debian squeeze packages all failing checksumming. For what it's worth, the issue appears to be with debootstrap, a package that Jeff's script downloads and then uses to do the debian install. There's a slightly newer version of that script on the servers than the one Jeff's script downloads - I haven't had a chance to experiment with it and see if it avoids this problem.

Anyway, I worked around the problem by hotwiring verify_checksum in /usr/share/debootstrap/functions, deep in the guts of debootstrap, to always return true. (After all, the downloads are over TCP which is reliable transport, right?) This is pretty dodgy so I'm not going to be more explicit than that... caveat hacker!

This hack got everything installed and working nicely - at least, until I set the GoFlex Net arcNumber, but those problems are covered in another thread.
MattiP
April 03, 2011 08:22PM
dhkaufman Wrote:
> Anyway, I worked around the problem by hotwiring
> verify_checksum in
> /usr/share/debootstrap/functions, deep in the guts
> of debootstrap, to always return true.

Clever. I tried to figure out something similar but that's a tad bit too hardcore for me. I prefer to leave things like that to someone who knows what they do :-)

Anyway, the problem with debootstrap seems to be known and bugreported but I haven't found if there's a fix out there yet or not.
April 04, 2011 08:21AM
@thi

You're coming up with eth1 because udev previsouly wrote an automatic rule that forces eth0 to match the mac address of your "working" dockstar. When you boot that same stick on another dockstar, that rule fails, so it adds a second rule for eth1. You can simply clone the usb stick and remove the udev rule file: "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules". When you reboot after doing this, udev will write a new rule that forces eth0 to match the mac address of your "other" dockstar.
April 04, 2011 01:32PM
Ack! Just got my Pogoplug today, and ran smack into this 'corrupt debs' issue :(

I tried various mirrors, as well as changing the version of 'debootstrap' to 'debootstrap_1.0.26+squeeze1_all.deb', but no dice. I hope that it is safe to sever my connection to the Pogoplug while we wait for a solution i.e. that I will be able to still SSH in again later for a subsequent attempt...

One interesting thing I noticed while getting ready is that I had read a bunch of warnings that 'ssh' would be deactivated if I inadvertently connected the Pogoplug to the internet (let it 'phone home'), but that never occured before I ran the install script -- so I guess I worried for nothing :)
April 04, 2011 02:19PM
does a "not working dockstar" have sha1sum and sha256sum in the search path? can we copy these 2 programs from a installed debian to the dockstar?
April 04, 2011 03:59PM
Thanks max, your method works for me :)
April 05, 2011 02:48AM
thanks twinclouds. just followed your method on my 2nd dock and works perfect.
April 05, 2011 10:39AM
I decided to dig a bit deeper like dhkaufman did, and starting putting some debugging code into that particular script (/usr/share/debootstrap/functions) with my own lines tagged with 'Dare', and here is what I got on the first corrupt file:

I: Checking component main on http://mirrors.xenir.com/debian...
I: Dare relsize expected 26568 received 26568
I: Dare checksum expected f17dbb8fbb4f149e2bc3b92e69abff35 received d728e8345fc7cedd1274e6c44f8e026dcb6e0ced
I: Dare Checksum libacl1 is f17dbb8fbb4f149e2bc3b92e69abff35
W: http://mirrors.xenir.com/debian/pool/main/a/acl/libacl1_2.2.49-4_armel.deb was corrupt

So, then, the expected 'size' is correct, but the expected 'checksum' (sha1sum) is wrong. Now, I don't (yet) know where the expected checksum is coming from -- but either it is wrong, or there is something bad with the 'sha1sum' process. Here is what happens when I check it directly:

Pogoplug:/tmp$ sha1sum < libacl1_2.2.49-4_armel.deb
d728e8345fc7cedd1274e6c44f8e026dcb6e0ced -

This confirms that the script is calculating something different than is expected. I am tempted to just 'comment out' this check like dhkaufman did, but perhaps this will put someone smarter than myself on the path to fixing this (?).

EDIT: Ah! The expected checksum appears to be an 'md5sum' instead of a 'sha1sum':

Pogoplug:/tmp$ md5sum < libacl1_2.2.49-4_armel.deb
f17dbb8fbb4f149e2bc3b92e69abff35 -

EDIT: OK, if anyone else is brave enough to try my ugly solution to this sha1sum/md5sum strangeness, here is my replacement code for '/usr/share/debootstrap/functions' -- all it does is try 'sha1sum' first, and then 'md5sum' if that fails:

verify_checksum () {                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
        # args: dest checksum size                                                                                                                                                                                                           
        local expchecksum="$2"                                                                                                                                                                                                               
        local expsize="$3"                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        relchecksum=`sha${SHA_SIZE}sum < "$1" | sed 's/ .*$//'`                                                                                                                                                                              
        relsize=`wc -c < "$1"`                                                                                                                                                                                                               
        if [ "$expsize" -ne "$relsize" ] || [ "$expchecksum" != "$relchecksum" ]; then                                                                                                                                                       
                relchecksum=`md5sum < "$1" | sed 's/ .*$//'`                                                                                                                                                                                 
                #return 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                if [ "$expsize" -ne "$relsize" ] || [ "$expchecksum" != "$relchecksum" ]; then                                                                                                                                               
                        return 1                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                fi

fi                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        return 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
}

My own install got past the 'debootstrap' phase, and completed in about 30 minutes. It has just rebooted and I have just logged in again hoping for the best...

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned that my attempt to merely change the script from using 'sha1sum' to 'md5sum' did not work -- currently there is a *mixture* of files with both methods being processed by that script -- so the solution was to use *both*.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 01:22PM by darethehair.
lou
April 06, 2011 08:27PM
please allow me one comment

Months ago, when i had the first DS in my hands (and never did any linux installations before), i decided NOT to do this wget-internet-on-the-fly-installation-stuff.
So I grabbed the lenny-tarball and modified jeffs script (wget became cp etc), and installed lenny offline, smoothly and fast from usb-stick #2 to #1.

Which brings me to one simple questions to all masterminds on this board :)

Why is there no DS-debian-squeeze tarball with simple offline-installation script ?
So every installation would be reproducable und independant from debs, shitty servers or checksums, etc.
i guess everybody would be happy :)

btw2: I know this is a kinda developer-board. I dont complain. I just suggest ;)

regards & big thanx,
lou
April 06, 2011 10:11PM
codier Wrote:
> thanks twinclouds. just followed your method on my
> 2nd dock and works perfect.

Great! I am glad it works for you. The same as you I also like the tarball way of installation much better than the debootstrap. Hope someone can do the community a service to generate such a tarball for Squeeze. I may try as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 10:52AM by twinclouds.
Pete
April 07, 2011 12:13PM
max Wrote:
> after days of messing about i have finally figured
> it out....
>
> 1) install lenny using the old install
> instructions onto a usb once install is completed
> boot to lenny using root root
> 2) insert another usb into the pogoplug, this will
> be /dev/stb
> …
Thanks a lot! It worked for me like a charm.

Just had to install "binutils" and change the version number of debootstrap in the install script.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.