Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Personal cloud server on Debian

Posted by gazza_d 
Personal cloud server on Debian
April 02, 2011 03:27AM
OK, this may seem odd, possibly not.

I bought a pogoplug to run as a headless low-power server, initially as my Mythtv Master backend.

I have rejigged my plans a bit since buying it and installing Debian, and I have left my Mythtv backend where it is, and use the Pogoplug to send a WOL packet to the mythtv box to wake it up. It works really well, and I have a web page on the pogoplug which will send the WOL packet so I can wake the box remotely whenever.

What I want to do is to have a torrent server on there, and have a webbased fileserver/backup service available running on the pogoplug, which is really easy for the rest of the family to use. I know I could nail stuff like transmission together as seperate services, but it would be better for the rest of the family to have something that was integrated with a single look and feel.

I have had a look about and there is stuff like Avahi, Tonido, and pogo of course, but these all seem to rely on some company or other, unless I have missed something

I really want that sort of app (source or installable debian), but is solely on my server and is not reliant on someone else.

Has anyone else done or found anything similar?
Re: Personal cloud server on Debian
April 12, 2011 11:52AM
Hi gazza_d,

Installing Transmission would give you a very top-of-the-line torrent client. To share files, samba is required, and/or netatalk (for the Apple machines). As for the web frontend where you could upload files to like box.net, I'm not aware of any packages, but that just means I haven't looked. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell us about it. In the meantime, I'll try Google and report any results.
April 13, 2011 02:03AM
thanks for the reply.

I have actually installed transmission and a web based file manager called ajaxplorer.

what i was after, if it exists, was a suite which combined the functions i described in a common unified web based UI, with single credentials. Similar to the apps i mentioned but not dependant on a 3rd party.

Guess there isn't one as I have been unable to find one.

Thanks
April 13, 2011 03:44AM
I was also looking for similar suite. I don't think such unified suite is available.

Have anybody try different alternatives like python-webdav, lighthttp-mod-webdav, or apache webdav? what are the pros/cons or any recommendation to use one over the others?

With transmission we can use the browser to access it, and webdav would be also through a browser (locally or remotely), so at least the access mechanism would be similar?
April 15, 2011 12:35PM
I too would like to see a personal cloud app on detain similar to dropbox or box.net that is fairly seamless to non tech family members.
April 21, 2011 10:58PM
Its kind of a simplistic thing, but have you tried doing a webdav server? I did it under apache.

I'm sure there are cooler ways to configure it, but the way I have it set up is that anyone can read the directory but only I can write to it.
But I'm pretty sure you could password protect the read privs on the directory as well.
May 03, 2011 11:23AM
gazza_d Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks for the reply.
>
> I have actually installed transmission and a web
> based file manager called ajaxplorer.
>
> what i was after, if it exists, was a suite which
> combined the functions i described in a common
> unified web based UI, with single credentials.
> Similar to the apps i mentioned but not dependant
> on a 3rd party.
>
> Guess there isn't one as I have been unable to
> find one.
>
>
> Thanks

Are you using apache or lighttpd?
May 03, 2011 01:35PM
go_cp Wrote:
> gazza_d Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > thanks for the reply.
> >
> > I have actually installed transmission and a
> web
> > based file manager called ajaxplorer.
> >
> > what i was after, if it exists, was a suite
> which
> > combined the functions i described in a common
> > unified web based UI, with single credentials.
> > Similar to the apps i mentioned but not
> dependant
> > on a 3rd party.
> >
> > Guess there isn't one as I have been unable to
> > find one.
> >
> >
> > Thanks
>
>
> Are you using apache or lighttpd?

Apache.
May 08, 2011 09:23PM
I've installed lighttpd&webdav on my pogoplug running debian lenny. I can access my server from windoze machines using the freeware package Bitkinex. From linux gnome I can connect from Places/Connect to Server. In either case the connection is a lot like using the downloadable pogoplug software.
Mic677592
November 22, 2011 04:37PM
gazza_d Wrote:

> I have rejigged my plans a bit since buying it and
> installing Debian, and I have left my Mythtv
> backend where it is, and use the Pogoplug to send
> a WOL packet to the mythtv box to wake it up. It
> works really well, and I have a web page on the
> pogoplug which will send the WOL packet so I can
> wake the box remotely whenever.
>
Hello,

I try to do exactly the same. I plan to buy a pogoplug to host a php web page issuing WOL packets on my network.
Could you explain a little more how you dit it with your pogoplug, and what are the caveats.

Best Regards
Michel.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.